Accessibility tools

International students applying for a job in the UK

Quick Links

Do you need a work permit?

At Atkins, we recognise our business is built from global talent and we actively seek a diverse workforce. We welcome all applications from all candidates, but it is essential you have the right to work in the UK. There are some restrictions to some areas of our business, so please check them on the job description before you apply.

In limited circumstances, where we are able to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) and a visa application can be made from within the UK, we may be able to sponsor a Tier 2 (General) visa for you to obtain the right to work. If you are currently holding a Tier 4 (General) Student visa your application is likely to be exempt from the RLMT and will therefore be progressed within our standard recruitment process.

Any employment offer made by Atkins is contingent upon you obtaining and maintaining the right to work and reside legally in the UK. You will need to notify us immediately if there are any changes to your immigration status following your application submission. 

In order for Atkins to offer sponsorship for a Tier 2 visa, you must have *successfully completed one of these qualifications from your student visa prior to your employment start date if you want to switch from a Tier 4 (General) to a Tier 2 (General) visa:

  • A UK Bachelor's degree
  • A UK Masters degree
  • A Postgraduate Certificate in education
  • A Professional Graduate Diploma of Education
  • Completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD

*Successful completion is having received your final degree grade. 

It is your responsibility to check the regulations of the UK Border Agency. Please note that once you have completed your course, we advise you not to travel outside of the UK until you receive your Tier 2 visa. There is a risk that the UK authorities may refuse you re-entry to the UK to study your course. If refused entry you may lose your eligibility to apply for a Tier 2 General visa. We would therefore advise you to remain in the UK between completing your studies and your start date with Atkins.

Although we are not able to provide sponsorship for internships and fixed-term placements, if you're in full-time education in the UK under the Tier 4 (General) category, current regulations may permit temporary employment during holiday periods or as part of your studies. 

EU (except Ireland), EEA or Swiss nationals

Following BREXIT, the UK is in a transition period is an a transition period until December 31st 2020. From January 1st 2021 a new UK immigration system will be in place. 

  • Are you an EU (except Ireland), EEA or Swiss national residing in the UK? If so please can you please provide details of any application you have made under the UK Settlement Scheme: 

  • Are you an EU (except Ireland), EEA or Swiss national residing outside the UK ? You may require a visa to work in the UK from 2021 if you are not eligible under the UK Settlement Scheme:

Need more information?

For further advice and guidance, please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website at

Our Latest Articles

Raising LGBT+ visibility

Aurora's degree apprenticeship in Building Surveying

Earning and learning as a civil engineering apprentice

18 Months as a higher apprentice project manager