Atkins, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operations UK are part of a consortium, creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
As part of our 30-year remit to manage and improve the capital’s orbital motorway network, we deliver major improvement projects, such widening 38 miles of the M25, refurbishing tunnels and bridges, and installing hundreds of variable messaging signs and gantries, helping to maximise the use of the network and deliver more reliable journeys. We also manage the Dartford River crossing, and operate and maintain 440 kilometres of motorway providing our customer and road user with a world-class highway service.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
We are currently looking for a Hydrologist to join our Environmental team working out of our Leatherhead, South Mimms or Dartford office
Main purpose of the job:
To support the Environment Team in identifying, developing and delivering water and drainage schemes – to make improvements to the water network to enhance biodiversity, reduce flooding and reduce pollution risks.
To undertake annual survey programme on outfalls, ditches and balancing ponds
To assist Highways England in meeting their Commitments to the Water Framework Directive and other legal obligations.
To undertake / support environmental assessments
Nature of formal contacts (with DBFO/HA etc):
DBFO Co, Highways Agency, DNCS, other members of CPS and external stakeholders including statutory environmental bodies.
Key responsibilities / duties:
· Undertake HAWRAT Assessments / Low Flow Surveys
· Advise on hydrological issues relating to schemes
· Manage / supervise sub-contractors working on scheme delivery
· Development of water quality and outfall Designated Funds schemes
· Write reports and liaise with other members of the Environment Team to input the information into the network database.
· Undertake biannual surveys of balancing ponds and ditches
· Preparation of pollution response plans
· Undertake environmental assessments of schemes.
· Assist with environmental depot audits.
· Other Environmental Team tasks as required
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
· Minimum of a degree(MSc preferred) in a relevant environmental engineering,environmental science with some experience within the following areas; water, drainage networks, vegetated drainage system, highways drainage, ponds.
· Membership of a professional body relevant to water / environment, such as the Chartered Institute of Water and the Environment or Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment.
· Previous project management experience or delivery of environmental improvements preferred but not essential.
· Knowledge of the Framework Directive and relevant Water Quality legislation.
· Working knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
· Full UK driving licence
· Knowledge of ISO14001 and Environmental Management Systems
· Some industry experience preferable but not mandatory
· Competent in Microsoft Office Applications
· Experience of undertaking HAWRAT assessments and Low Flow Surveys desirable.
· Engineering skills and the ability to design solutions are desirable but are not the main focus of this role