Project Engineer (NL)
SNC Lavalin’s Mining & Metallurgy team combines global-caliber expertise with deep local capabilities to provide tailored solutions for projects of any size, scope or complexity. From mine planning to mine closure, we offer a full range of services at every step of a mining project. We believe in working openly and transparently, together, delivering world-class projects. To support our growth initiatives, we are expanding our team and are looking for innovative, forward-thinking people who enjoy challenges and want to add value to project success, both locally and internationally. Your commitment and expertise will be recognized and valued as we work together for our professional and business success.
We are seeking a Project Engineer to join our Project Engineering Group. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading all of our plant engineering work in a major metallurgical facility near St. John’s, Newfoundland. The person in this position will work closely with all disciplines (engineering, HSE, procurement, quality, etc) and operations personnel to scope and manage various projects within the facility. This position will mainly focus on plant engineering and sustaining capital mandates at existing client facilities.
- Manages and coordinates the progress of the engineering work in accordance with the project scope and schedule.
- Develop, coordinate and maintain project schedules to ensure cost, quality and schedule objectives are met.
- Develop and recommend improvements to project work processes.
- Participates in the development of project and engineering execution strategies.
- Manages and controls the engineering budget and deliverables list.
- Prepare project forecasts.
- Identify scope changes and request change orders in advance of performing work.
- Using established project management tools, measure on a monthly basis, the progress of engineering, to ensure that the budgets and schedules are being met, and if necessary, take corrective action.
- Ensures that the review of documentation is carried out in accordance with the Project Instructions.
- Prepare project status reports.
- Ensure that interdisciplinary coordination is carried out in accordance with the Project Instructions.
- Set agenda and lead project meetings, including preparation of meeting minutes.
- Prepare engineering and construction work packages as required to support the execution of the project.
- Initiate a prompt identification and correction of any engineering issue.
- Oversees and manages the procurement requisition process, reviews bid and tendering documents to ensure conformance with the project scope and the technical specifications.
- Develops, maintain and coordinates all interfaces with client operations groups.
- Ensures that suitable and sufficient staffing is available to meet the performance objectives of the project.
- Supports the identification and prequalification of subcontractors.
- Clearly communicates the engineering scope, including the technology and the design information, to team members in order to meet project requirements.
- Reviews drawings and develop scopes of work.
- Management of subcontractors including change management.
- Establishes and maintains a climate favourable to the application of ethical and professional practices in the execution of the project engineering work.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or eligible for PEO registration.
- Minimum 8-10 years project engineering / management experience.
- Previous EPC/EPCM experience preferred.
- Site experience and/or experience working in an operations role in a mining process plant.
- Solid understanding of project management and knowledge of reciprocal effects of the work upon other disciplines/fields.
- Working knowledge of cost, planning and control methods.
- Proficiency in a variety of standard project management methods and techniques.
- Ability to travel for extended periods.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Experience working on sites in a construction role, commissioning role, operations role or plant engineering role is an asset;
- Ability to meet assignment schedule & deliver quality products under pressure.
- Self-motivated & goal-oriented.
- Proficient with MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proven time management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies http://www.snclavalin.com/
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.