Radiation Safety Manager
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins business seeks a Radiation Safety Manager to join our team in Oak Ridge, TN.
Is responsible for implementing the Radiation Safety Program at a site/facility or within various radiation safety disciplines, including managing staff. Ensures facilities and projects comply with applicable laws, rules, policies and procedures regulating radiation safety. Compiles compliance reports and oversees regulatory recordkeeping and submission of reports to regulatory agencies.
• Provides oversight, direction and training to organization staff to ensure all radiation safety activities related to a site, program, project, function and/or facility process(es) are conducted in compliance with established rules, regulations, policies and procedures and to ensure high quality products and services for customers.
• Manages various radiation safety disciplines such as radiological engineering, dosimetry, instrumentation, waste management and health physics.
• Manages the development and implementation of training programs for staff on technical compliance procedures.
• Ensures compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to facility operations.
• Assumes responsibilities as a radiation safety officer on a federal or agreement state radioactive material license (with appropriate experience and federal or agreement state regulatory approval). May be designated by name on a federal or agreement state radioactive material license.
• Completes radiation work plans and enforces compliance.
• Develops and implements radiation safety procedures for radiation safety staff.
• Provides training for radiation safety staff to ensure compliance with radiation safety procedures.
• Manages the implementation of radiation safety procedures in response to new regulations at the federal, state and local levels.
• Conducts daily surveys to keep a facility in compliance with licenses and regulations and ensures adequate staffing job coverage.
• Compiles compliance reports and oversees regulatory recordkeeping and submission of reports to regulatory agencies.
• Acts as a chief advisor to regulatory committees.
• Manages staff selection, development and retention. Establishes and monitors work goals and objectives. Evaluates employees through performance reviews, ongoing coaching and feedback methods.
• Prepares and administers budget according to plan. Monitors budget variances. Provides explanations on variances and takes appropriate action.
• Follows organizational policies and procedures and ensures staff is in compliance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree required in a scientific discipline or equivalent experience
• National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologist (NRRPT) certification preferred
• Certified Health Physicist (CHP) preferred
• Federal or agreement state regulatory approval may be required
• Requires a minimum of 6- 8 years of experience in operational health physics
• Requires a minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience in operational health physics
• Requires demonstrated experience in decontamination, decommissioning, and remediation of facilities, grounds and equipment
REQUIRED AND DESIRED SKILLS
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Detailed knowledge of local, state and federal radiation safety compliance regulations
• Detailed knowledge of the interpretation of local, state and federal radiation safety compliance regulations
• Detailed knowledge of the principles and practices of radiation safety
• Demonstrated capability of site characterization surveys, sampling, packaging for transport in packages or containers
• Detailed knowledge of, and skill in using, radiation monitoring and laboratory research procedures and methods and instrumentation related to radiation safety
• Detailed knowledge of operational health physics and one or more of the following areas: dosimetry, instrumentation and waste management
• Demonstrated ability to collect, organize, analyze and report qualitative and quantitative data
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office products and their use (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and database applications
• Ability to schedule tasks assigned to other radiation safety professionals
• Demonstrated ability to handle more complex work and work broader in scope such as more than one subject area focus
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.