Partnering with the Armed Forces
As a global engineering consultancy, Atkins takes on a number of complex and time critical projects. These require a breadth and depth of skill and resilience to provide our clients with the highest standard of service. Our people and our Armed Forces community are highly valued contributors to this success.
In November 2014 we were recognised for our commitment to the Armed Forces community with one of the Ministry of Defence’s first Silver Employer Recognition Scheme Awards. One year later the Ministry of Defence awarded Atkins for its commitment and advocacy, with the coveted Gold Employer Recognition Scheme awards.
Supporting our Armed Forces staff
Not only do veterans and reservists bring with them specialist skills, we often see them take the lead and initiative in problem solving, planning, teamwork, and stakeholder management. We currently have over 120 veterans and 50 reservists working across Atkins.
To co-ordinate our Armed Forces advocacy and engagement, Atkins has a ‘Partnering with the Armed Forces’ (PwAF) initiative. PwAF works with corporate functions across the UK, aiming to deliver on the organisations’ support through many means, including:
- Efforts to recruit service leavers, including our attendance at CTP Careers Fairs
- Encouraging veterans to mentor service leavers, Atkins destined or otherwise
- Working with HR to implement our Reserves policy, which includes an additional 10 days paid leave to allow reservists to undertake their annual training
- Hosting an annual conference for reservists to engage with and feedback to senior leadership in the organization
- Promoting reserve service among our workforce
- Corporate sponsorship of the Soldiers, Sailors, and Air Forces Association (SSAFA), the UK’s oldest tri-service charity
- Fundraising for military charities
- Involvement in an industry alumni group of the Employer Recognition Scheme Gold award. The alumni group was initiated by Atkins for companies to share knowledge and ideas to further the cause
- Advocating support through forum presentations and webinars
Military Insight Day - Bristol
On 4th October 2019, we'll be hosting a Military Insight Day in our Bristol office. This event will bring to life the many exciting and vibrant roles that Atkins offer for those looking to transition from the military into professional service. These roles span the aerospace, defence, national security, cities & development, aviation, water, energy, highways and rail sectors. For more information and to register your interest click here.
For questions email ArmedForces@atkinsglobal.com