Air Quality Consultant
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to further your career as an Air Quality Consultant and work on some of the largest and most interesting air quality projects in the UK? We are seeking candidates for an air quality specialist to join our expanding Air Quality and Emissions team. The position is permanent and would be based in Epsom or London Victoria.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, providing services for clients across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
The Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division is committed to providing specialist air quality consultancy services in connection with a wide range of land development, transport and energy projects. Our work includes undertaking desk and field based air quality, dust and odour impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality action planning, mitigation design, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools.
We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches. We work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
Atkins currently has 17 air quality consultants based in offices primarily in our South East “centre of excellence”. We operate across the UK and internationally, working closely with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines, across all the diverse markets Atkins works in.
The role will be based in Epsom or London Victoria.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Provide technical support to the rest of the air quality team;
• Provide air quality input to a range of projects across different sectors;
• Identify air quality impacts and assess potential for adverse effects on the environment;
• Advise on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of air pollution;
• Undertake air quality, dust and odour impact assessments and reporting;
• Perform air quality surveys and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of pollution;
• Work within defined, and sometimes challenging, deadlines and budgets;
• Provide support on bids and with business development to help win work for the team;
• Manage their own time and workload in collaboration with other team members;
• Continuously develop their technical skills; and
• Work collaboratively as part of a wider team of other professionals (e.g. environmental scientists, engineers and planners) across Atkins, to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients
If you think you are the right person to join our team and can demonstrate the qualifications and experience criteria below, then we look forward to hearing from you.
Qualifications and Experience
• At least a 2:1 degree in a relevant scientific discipline, and preferably also a Masters;
• Experience within the UK air quality sector, preferably within environmental consultancy; and
• Membership of the Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM), or the necessary qualifications to become such a member.
The following criteria are essential for any role within the team:
• An understanding of air quality legislation, policy and assessment;
• The ability to analyse complex datasets using spreadsheet and GIS based tools;
• The ability to summarise and present air quality issues in a clear and concise way;
• Proficiency in standard IT applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook;
• An understanding of the importance of health and safety risk management;
• A full valid UK/EEC driving licence; and
• The legal right to work in the UK.
Demonstrable experience in the following would also be desirable:
• Prior experience of working in air quality consultancy;
• Use of air emissions databases and dispersion models for industrial and/or transport sources (including ADMS Roads, ADMS 5 and / or AERMOD);
• Experience of using R software or similar statistical analysis packages;
• An understanding of the interrelationships with other environmental impact specialisms, e.g. ecology, noise; and of working within multi-disciplinary teams.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.