Airport Chief Engineer
Atkins is currently seeking a Chief Engineer to join the Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice and form part of its aviation team based in its Epsom or London office.
Atkins is renowned for an array of significant projects across Aviation, Cities & Development, Transport, Defence, Energy and Water markets. The Atkins Aviation team is founded on experience and dynamism, armed with a can-do attitude and underpinned by exemplary technical, engineering, operational and leadership backgrounds from across the aviation sector. It focuses on innovative design and technical excellence with a passion for completing projects on time, within budget and to the client's complete satisfaction.
We are looking for individuals who are creative, organised, self-motivated and collaborative with experience in co-ordinating and delivering designs at senior level in an airport environment. The candidate must be a Chartered Civil Engineer with airfield and infrastructure design experience, including successful delivery of schemes from concept to detailed design. The candidate would be responsible for development of our airport civil engineering business and technical delivery with a natural curiosity at implementing innovative ways of design and delivery. The position requires credibility, competence and technical excellence as it will be a role working closely with industry leading clients, (contractors, airport operators and airliners), decision makers, industry stakeholders and other consultants. It will necessitate the development, approval and implementation of robust design solutions through collaborative working, trust and proactive management of client demands.
This is a unique opportunity to join a team that will embrace your ideas to better serve our clients. You will have the prospect of advancing your career and professional development as an engineering discipline leader on airport projects. Our current projects are located across the UK and overseas. You will have the opportunity to lead, develop and deliver airport projects of varying size and complexity, initiate and maintain client contact and assist the team in winning work. Some overseas travel may be required.
The role grading and salary will be commensurate with your demonstrable qualifications and experience.
- Degree-qualified Civil Engineer
- Chartered Civil Engineer
- Extensive post graduate experience in airport infrastructure planning and design
- In-depth knowledge and experience of airfield pavement design, materials specification and maintenance including principles and application of UK and international pavement design methods
- Clear and proven analytical skills with extensive practical application in airfield pavement design and assessment
- Proven track record in co-ordinating and delivering design solutions in the airports sector on time and to budget
- Application of EASA, CAA, ICAO, DFT and UK Airport operator standards and design requirements
- Working knowledge of the Heathrow and Gatwick airports technical requirements and design processes would be an advantage
- An understanding of the key drivers and challenges of airport design, specifically the interactions between aviation and airport operations, people and baggage movement.
Management & Commercial
- Excellent project management skills, commercial awareness, financial management skills and ability to deliver work across a range of contract types
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable
- Planning and control of technical resources to deliver projects on time and to budget
- Proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and contribute to a good working environment.
- Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills
- Experienced in developing compelling proposals including understand the commercial risks associated with projects
- Understanding of the business models adopted in the sector and project commercial and technical risks.
- Experienced in mentoring senior engineers, graduates and technicians in airport engineering both technically and professionally
- Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities with respect from colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- A winning attitude.
- Technical authority for airport civil design projects
- Project Management and profitable delivery of our consultancy services
- Management and technical development of engineering team
- Developing new and fostering existing client relationships
- Identifying and securing new opportunities
- Co-ordination and management of other discipline inputs into projects.
- Recognition that international work brings international travel, and a willingness to undertake commissions overseas.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles