Archaeological Manager- East West Rail
NOTE THAT THIS POSITION WILL BE A DIRECT SECONDMENT INTO THE EAST WEST RAIL ALLIANCE, AND WILL BE BASED IN MILTON KEYNES
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of our ideas.
East West Rail (EWR) Phase 2 is £1.2 billion programme which will provide a strategic route linking key centres of economic activity between Oxford, Milton Keynes, Aylesbury and Bedford.
East West Rail Alliance is a Pure Alliance consisting of three Non-Owner Participants (NOPs); Atkins Global, Laing O’Rourke, Volker Rail Ltd and the Owner Participant (OP) Network Rail.
Atkins are looking to second an experienced archaeologist into the East West Rail Alliance office in Milton Keynes to manage the successful flow and delivery of archaeological evaluation and mitigation works undertaken as part of the EWR Phase 2 scheme.
- Monitoring of archaeological contractor works to ensure works are being undertaken in-line with agreed scopes of work and to the highest quality (providing feedback to EWR on any noncompliance issues);
- Management of EWR Archaeological Clerk(s) of Works (ACoW);
- QA and sign-off of documentation produced by archaeological contractors;
- Client representation on archaeology;
- Overseeing that agreements with the LPA and other stakeholders are adhered to and that no design / scope changes are progressed without agreement from the archaeology management team;
- Building and maintaining an Archaeology Project Work Tracker, to ensure that all deliverables are carefully and correctly monitored from the outset;
- Working with the wider team on the management of the archaeology budget for the fieldworks and post-excavation works, providing feedback to a designated QS within the East West Rail Alliance Team; and
- Manage the unexpected archaeology remains policy on the scheme, including creating information to be issued to non-archaeological groundworks team and office-based staff.
Experience and Skills Requirements
The post holder will need to be a highly experienced historic environment / archaeological manager with proven experience of overseeing, guiding and delivering major historic environment work programmes. Given the scale of archaeological works required as part of the wider historic environment package, robust experience of managerial roles on construction-led archaeological work programmes is a critical requirement of the role.
- Relevant Masters level or higher qualification in archaeology or heritage management or considerable experience akin to this level of qualification;
- Full Member of the Chartered Institutes for Archaeologists (MCIfA);
- Full, clean UK driving licence;
- Demonstrable experience of delivering major archaeological work programmes on time and on budget;
- Demonstrable experience of project management skills and knowledge of project management systems;
- Demonstrable experience of negotiation with historic environment stakeholders and contractors;
- Capable of working under pressure with the ability to meet critical deadlines;
- Robust knowledge of UK archaeology and history: desired local knowledge of Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Oxfordshire;
- Demonstrable experience of reviewing work of others;
- Willingness to learn and develop professional skills;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Ability to prioritise workload and manage time effectively;
- Good working knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office packages; and
- Willingness to work across the EWR Scheme.
- Experience of using GIS interfaces and data;
- Knowledge of generic data management processes; and
- Technical or specialist subject expert.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you perform to the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving Chartership via relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.