Area Manager - RTP install and FMB Removal
PURPOSE OF THE POSTION
Centralization of accountability is critical to the success of Darlington RFR. As such, Area Managers will be accountable to lead a team responsible for delivering a specific, project critical scope area for the Retube and Feeder Replacement project. For clarity, the single point accountability to deliver the assigned project scope safely, on time, on budget and with quality rests with the Area Manager. It is a key role in the success of subsequent unit work for Darlington RFR.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a matrixed team of Construction, Engineering, Training, Tooling, Quality, Procurement and CWP development to prepare for and execute a defined portion of the project scope.
- Interface with OPG PM (if required) and OPG Work Management, other Area Managers and all involved CanAtom stakeholders to lead a team that develops an implementation plan for the assigned scope
- Review and incorporate previous OPEX and lessons Learned associated with the assigned scope
- Lead the preparation for the work using the Canatom readiness process, to ensure that work is efficiently performed in support of the schedule. Issues are resolved, when necessary escalated and accountability for readiness is clearly driven to the matrixed support team. Assure that planning is focused on safe workface production with an end goal.
- Works with superintendent to assure that detailed constructability reviews are performed and implemented, and that construction supervision is well versed in the details of the CWP
- During planning, ensures any readiness issues escalated by project team or super-intendants are addressed.
- During execution, ensures any issues relating to cost, schedule, scope and quality that are escalated by superintendents or CSS is addressed.
- Drive timely decision making and prioritization of work and risk management for their scope of work
- To develop a strong working relationship with construction management to ensure readiness is robust and issues are resolved quickly and in best interest of the project.
- Review and improve the working schedule and resource plan and assure schedule quality
- Oversee material and tooling delivery and all logistics including prefabrication, interim storage, transport, workface handling and storage
- Review and improve all processes and procedures that support the assigned scope, with a mind for continuous improvement over the execution of the work
- Lead the field execution of the assigned scope, driving accountability for performance to each of the support organizations (engineering, construction, procurement, tooling, training, QC)
- Establish and monitor metrics, and manage cost, schedule, quality and safety performance associated with the assigned scope, with the support of the Project Controls organization
- Review and improve training plan associated with the assigned task and develop any required Playbooks or other tools/aides to approve work efficiency and reduce human performance errors
- Review and approve any related subcontracts supporting the assigned task
- Oversee tracking and resolution of emergent issues affecting task planning and/or implementation
- Keeps close-out as focus area throughout planning (document creation), execution and close-out phases of the project.
- Direct integration with all stakeholders within CanAtom, OPG and beyond to execute work in compliance with the four pillars.
- Additional duties as assigned
Required Leadership Capabilities
- Drives decisions and utilizes collaborative decision making. Is accountable for the decisions in their defined Area.
- Constantly thinks in priorities. Never deviates from the prioritized path and does not allow others to keep them from their priorities.
- Constantly builds and develops their team to execute effectively. Enables good team level decision making by effectively managing conflict.
- Tends to be action focused. Clearly lays out and plans the work. Is the demonstrative clear leader in the room driving the work.
- Manages conflict among various functional groups. Creates a collaborative environment in which all of the functions work in a choreographed way to get work done with significant urgency.
- Plans the work well and is constantly looking ahead to find critical tasks that might impair execution. Has a strategic view of the work.
- Is able to communicate all aspects of the work and bridge communication gaps between the various parts of the organization. Able to inspire all those who work in their Area or scope of work.
- Is able to manage significant stress and pressure without behavioral impact.
- Is able to delegate and empower others to effectively use the organization to get work done. Does not put too much work on their own shoulders.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of Ten years project management experience in a related role.
- Nuclear Construction Industry experience is an asset, however drive and ownership attributes are requisite for the position.
- Demonstrated leadership of construction trades and professional project staff required
- Experience and skill at detailed work planning including scope definition, staffing, budget and schedule formation
- Experience with project management toolset including planning, staffing, scheduling, risk management, performance measurement, and cost controls
- Lean construction experience is an asset, especially that related to workface performance improvement (Gemba)
- Highly self-motivated team player with a participative management style and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to identify planning and training gaps; generate effective solutions; and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, including Excel.
- Results oriented individual with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and time lines.
- People oriented with an ability to establish a high degree of credibility with staff and clients.
- An excellent written and verbal communicator with superior interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Commitment to working in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of construction safety programs, hazard identification and mitigation
- Knowledge and familiarity with the Retube Tooling Platform and Fueling Machine bridge will be considered an asset for this specific role being filled
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies http://www.snclavalin.com/
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences
Our Latest Articles