Assistant Air Quality Consultant
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to further your career as an Assistant Air Quality Consultant? We are seeking candidates for an Assistant Air Quality Specialist to join our expanding Air Quality and Emissions team. The position is permanent and would be based in Birmingham UK.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, providing services for clients across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
The Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division is committed to providing specialist air quality consultancy services in connection with land development, transport and energy projects. Our work includes undertaking desk and field based air quality, dust and odour impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality action planning, mitigation design, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools.
We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches. We work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
- The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide technical support to the rest of the air quality team;
- Provide air quality input to a varied range of projects across different sectors;
- Undertake air quality and dust impact assessments and reporting;
- Undertake air quality surveys;
- Work within defined, and sometimes challenging, deadlines and budgets;
- Provide support on bids and with business development to help win work for the team;
- Manage their own time and workload in collaboration with other team members;
- Continuously develop their technical skills; and
- Work collaboratively as part of a wider team of other professionals (e.g. environmental scientists, engineers and planners) across Atkins, to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
If you think you are the right person to join our team and can demonstrate the qualifications and experience criteria below, then we look forward to hearing from you.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least a 2:1 degree in a relevant scientific discipline, and preferably also a Masters;
- Typically around 1 to 3 years’ experience within the UK air quality sector, preferably within environmental consultancy; and
- Full or Associate Membership of the Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM), or the necessary qualifications to become such a member.
- The following criteria are essential for any role within the team: An understanding of air quality legislation, policy and assessment;
- The ability to analyse complex datasets using spreadsheet and GIS based tools; The ability to summarise and present air quality issues in a clear and concise way;
- Proficiency in standard IT applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook; An understanding of the importance of health and safety risk management;
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence.
- Demonstrable experience in the following would also be desirable:
- Prior experience of working in air quality consultancy; Use of air emissions databases and dispersion models for industrial and/or transport sources (including ADMS Roads, ADMS 5 and / or AERMOD;
- Experience of using R software or similar statistical analysis packages; An understanding of the interrelationships with other environmental impact specialisms, e.g. ecology, noise; and of working within multi-disciplinary teams.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles