This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We work on challenging and exciting projects across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
To meet our growing project workload we are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Assistant Ecologist to be based in our Derby team.
Atkins Ecology aims to be at the forefront of innovation and technological advances, and actively encourage staff to contribute and develop new ideas. Our team and projects have won awards and commendations for biodiversity enhancements, innovation and knowledge sharing, including winning the CIEEM 2018 Large-Scale Consultancy of the Year Award, highly commended in 2019 and shortlisted as a finalist in 2020.
What you will be doing
- Undertaking Phase 1 habitat surveys and protected species surveys;
- Planning and co-ordinating field surveys, analysing and interpreting survey results;
- Working with design teams and planning and co-ordinating ecological mitigation works;
- Undertaking reporting including Preliminary Ecological Assessments and Ecological Impact Assessments;
- Leading on small projects and managing project budgets across different sectors; and
- Collaborating with our multi-disciplinary teams within the region.
- Ideally, you would have the following qualifications and/or attributes:
- A degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- Good working knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques;
- Be capable at undertaking a range of surveys and reporting for Preliminary Ecological Appraisal, Ecological Impact Assessment;
- Great crested newt survey licence would be beneficial;
- An interest in and experience of ornithology surveys would be desirable;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence.
What we offer
Atkins strives to ensure their staff maintain a work-life balance, is supportive of flexible working arrangements and utilises a paid overtime and TOIL system, which allows ecologists to manage their time alongside the business needs.
In addition to competitive core benefits, Atkins operates a flexible benefits programme which includes the ability to buy up to 15 days of extra holiday each year, a cycle to work scheme and a 24/7 confidential Employee Assistance Programme, private health care, amongst many other options.
Atkins is committed to developing the knowledge and skills of our ecologists. As well as providing a training budget, the successful candidate will benefit from tailored mentoring and support towards achieving their career goals, such as Chartership and beyond.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Training and Development
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help its staff make the best of their abilities and talents. This includes our in-house Academy system, competency framework system and our Professionals Programme (for senior staff). Personal development is reviewed through a bi-annual appraisal process and mentoring support. We actively support staff in achieving membership of relevant professional institutions and attaining chartership and were one of the first companies awarded the status of Chartered Environmentalist Employer Champion.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills in a supportive and friendly environment. For full details of our benefits package please refer to our website. https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/#benefits
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
** DEFAULT listwidget.vacancypartial.salary - en-GB **
** DEFAULT listwidget.vacancypartial.locationfreetext - en-GB **
Environment & geoscience
** DEFAULT listwidget.vacancypartial.description - en-GB **
Our Water Management Consultancy operates at the interface between people and the water environment. Our key services cover all aspects of water management including: flood and coastal erosion risk ma
** DEFAULT listwidget.vacancypartial.reference - en-GB **
** DEFAULT listwidget.vacancypartial.expirydate - en-GB **
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs