Assistant Electrical Engineer
Assistant Electrical Engineer
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
SHAPE THE FUTURE WITH US
We started out as Atkins– one of the most respected international design, engineering and project management consultancies. Today we’re a core part of SNC-Lavalin, and we’re offering employees all the benefits you’d expect from a strong global company with enhanced scale, capabilities, expertise and more. Complementary geographies broaden our opportunities. And we’re already meeting fast growing demands for innovation and technology, from breakthroughs in transport to making Virtual Reality part of the delivery process. When it comes to the competition, we are more agile, more responsive and more effective.
WORKING AT SNC-LAVALIN’S ATKINS BUSINESS
Join a business that works on high-profile projects with forward-thinking clients. We are a diverse mix of people from all backgrounds and life-stages – from fresh apprentices and graduates, right up to long-serving employees with invaluable knowledge. With a truly multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach, you’ll discover an energetic environment where you can rise to your next challenge.
With a goal to be a truly inclusive employer, we’re pursuing improvements for all underrepresented groups and promoting a more inclusive culture for everyone in the SNC-Lavalin Atkins family. We’ve also signed the Time to Change, pledging to smash the stigma around mental health by talking about it and guiding behaviour across all levels of our business.
We’re already an industry leader when it comes to supporting employees with out-of-work commitments, like mum and dads, athletes and reservists.
• Great flexible working choices
• Option to buy up to 15 days extra holiday a year
• Two days a year #givingback as a volunteer
It’s an exciting time to join the railway industry with billions of pounds of investment projects to be delivered in the coming years, both in the UK and around the world. Atkins are playing a key part in modernising the UK railway network. Being part of our transportation team, you will have opportunities to be involved in preparing our infrastructure for a greener future on high profile projects across the length and breadth of the UK and internationally.
We are looking to recruit electrical engineers in to our railway engineering practice to work on multi-disciplinary engineering projects. The work will include undertaking design of railway infrastructure systems, initially under the supervision of experienced engineers but rapidly taking on more responsibilities. In addition to office-based design there will be a requirement to undertake site surveys and liaise with other disciplines and clients. Successful candidates will soon develop a detailed knowledge of railway infrastructure and how different engineering and non-engineering disciplines work together to create the whole system in a safety critical environment.
We are recruiting across a broad range of roles within the business including M&E, E&P (HV & LV distribution), building services, earthing and bonding, EMC.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in:
- Integrating with and supporting a team of design engineers who undertake electrical design work within a rail environment
- Undertaking site surveys and the preparation of design specifications to company and Network Rail standards
- Preparing design deliverable packages for professional submission including drawings, calculations and reports.
- Safety and technical assurance including participation in hazard workshops and risk assessments
- Client engagement activities from the outset, including attending project meetings, issuing project updates
- Costing, estimating, planning, management and implementing works
- Appropriate railway experience in a technical design environment, would be an advantage
- The drive and self-motivation to achieve chartered status with a professional body and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- HNC/HND/Degree qualification in Electrical/Electronic/Power engineering or equivalent experience
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of the use of BS7671, BS7430, BS EN 50121 and EN50122
- Appropriate experience working in CAD design in a building services or infrastructure environment would be an advantage
- The successful applicant will be a competent user of IT tools in particular Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience in software such as Microstation, Amtech, Dialux, ETAP would be an advantage but not essential.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs