Assistant Engineer Highways
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin, is one of the world’s most respected engineering, design and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Assistant Engineers in our Gloucester office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highways projects within Gloucester and surrounding counties. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. Initially you will be working on highway projects being delivered under the Local Authority Framework Contract that we have with Gloucester City Council. We are looking to grow our civil engineering / highways design and supervision capability in the region based in Gloucester, however you will also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of the delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
• Supporting technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
• Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Undertake designs and the production and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
• Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
• Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures ensuring work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
• Developing more junior staff, typically apprentices and graduates by technical training and mentoring.
• Able to work and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams and work independently.
• Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
• To work as part of a collaborative team with the Contractor / Client / Public, developing strong and lasting relationships which promote aligned, efficient and smarter ways of working.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• Mentoring junior staff and supporting the development of the team
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Actively working towards achieving CEng or IEng with the Institution of Civil Engineers (preferably)
• Good understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Manual for Streets.
• Preparing scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design
• Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and detailed design documents
• Production of drawings in collaboration with CAD technicians
• Proficient in the use of 3-D design packages, ideally including MX, Auto Desk Civils 3D and Micro drainage (or similar)
• Preparing works packages, including bills of quantities, specifications and construction drawings
• Assisting with the resolution of engineering problems
• Able to ensure tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
• Site supervision of highway improvement schemes
• Excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
• Experience of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
• Experience of CDM Regulations
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
• Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organization.
• Hold a valid UK driving license.
• Experience of supervising highway works contracts
Atkins, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.