Assistant Highway Engineer
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. We have a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Our Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support.
Atkins’ Transportation Consultancy Practice comprises circa 900 staff delivering planning, technical and advisory consultancy services to a wide-ranging client base in the UK and overseas. We are part of a larger Transportation business of circa 3,750 talented professionals covering highway, rail and local transport sectors in the UK.
We are seeking a capable and ambitious Engineer to join our expanding design capability in our Epsom, Croydon or Cambridge offices and linking in with resourcing needs across our Transport Planning Practice at a national level. You will have a demonstrable design experience using AutoCAD in the Traffic Engineering / Road Design / Public Realm field. This exciting opportunity will provide you with a platform to further develop your skills and experience in this field but also the opportunity to learn innovative design skills transforming traditional designs into a highly visual digital masterpiece through the use of gaming technologies and Virtual Reality to improve quality and presentation of design solutions to our clients.
• A relevant technical qualification
• Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD is essential.
• Delivery of work in line with DMRB and Manual for Streets.
• Working knowledge of CDM and relevant Health and Safety regulations.
• Experience of 3D design using AutoCAD Civil 3D is desirable.
• Experience of Traffic Sign design.
Appropriate previous and/or relevant experience of working in this field (development and implementation of urban highway, transport and public realm schemes, including cycle schemes, bus priority projects, high street improvements and signalised junctions)
Your key responsibilities in this role will include the following:
• Using AutoCAD to produce scheme drawings from feasibility design to detailed design;
• Evaluate design issues and provide workable solutions with minimal supervision, consulting senior staff as necessary;
• Liaising with utility, survey companies and other stakeholders;
• Undertaking design tasks on your own proactively supporting senior staff to deliver projects and ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets;
• Working with planners, traffic modellers, architects, landscape architects, masterplanners and clients as required;
• Keeping up-to-date with design guidelines and standards; and
• Compliance with relevant Health and Safety regulations.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Join us and we’ll value you for going beyond to exceed customer expectations and delivering innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic training and benefits.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles