This vacancy has now expired... why not:
We have a great opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Assistant Hydrogeologist to join our Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology team in Leeds. We are seeking an experienced hydrogeologist to take a leading role and input into some of our exciting and challenging contaminated land projects. The work involves local and national projects and frameworks being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure. We are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future of the industry. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector.
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin is one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team; notably with staff winning various awards over the past years.
The successful candidate will be an important part of an innovative and technically excellent team helping deliver projects to a number of the largest UK-based and international infrastructure projects. We are looking for highly motivated, proactive, confident and ambitious individual with excellent communication, writing and presentation skills and proven experience in the field of hydrogeology. As a member of our team you will be involved in range of office- and site-based projects. Atkins’ hydrogeologists use the full range of their skills, working on water resources and land contamination projects as well as providing innovative solutions to engineering challenges. Our client and project base is highly diverse with current projects in the nuclear new build, oil and gas, regeneration and redevelopment and major road and rail sectors. We work on projects in the UK and around the world.
- Provide technical input and delivery of hydrogeological projects, including site investigation design and supervision, interpretation, development of robust conceptual site models, controlled waters risk assessments, numerical modelling and design reports.
- Organising and supervising site investigation and monitoring, including contractor supervision, soil sampling and groundwater and surface water monitoring/sampling and/or supervising or supporting others in contractor management, liaison and supervision.
- Compliance with Health and Safety Policies and Procedures, including preparation of H&S Plans for site investigation and managing health and safety on site.
- Production and checking of complex groundwater models relating to groundwater flow, contamination transport and civil engineering challenges.
- Preparation of relevant Environmental Impact Assessment chapters for a wide range of projects.
- Work effectively as part of a team and with other professionals (environmental scientists, engineers, planners) to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
- Maintain excellent professional relationships which will lead to and secure repeat business.
- Management of own work and projects, including technical delivery, management of finances, and programme delivery.
- Supporting senior management with bid preparation and project management to ensure projects are delivered on-time, on budget and to quality and client expectations.
- Developing own competence and maintain CPD necessary to fulfil the responsibilities of the role, with support from the business with training and development needs.
- A minimum of 1 year’s relevant post-graduate experience (ideally within a consultancy environment).
- Experienced in preparing technical reports for qualitative and quantitative controlled waters risk assessment.
- Knowledge of common analytical modelling packages such as P20, ConSim, and RAM, with further experience in numerical groundwater modelling including MODFLOW, FEFLOW as well as 2-D packages such as SEEP/W.
- Experienced in supervising ground investigations, field hydraulic testing and interpretation of test data including managing health and safety requirements.
- Excellent working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance, industry standards and best practice.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to manage time and work as part of a team as well as individual working.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the UK and work on short term assignments overseas.
- BSc in geology or other relevant subject (e.g. earth science or other science discipline) with 2.1 achievement or higher.
- MSc or PhD in hydrogeology or related subject.
- Commitment to become chartered through a relevant professional body in the future.
- Full UK driving licence.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Atkins recognises a range of career development paths and supports individuals to navigate through and across these providing opportunities that meet the most ambitious of aspirations. We offer a certified training Academy to develop staff to achieve Chartership within their chosen technical career and a Professionals Programme to ensure senior staff continue to develop their expertise. Staff development objectives are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process, the outcome of which is a tailored and personal development plan for each member of our team.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles