Assistant Project Manager -Highways
Assistant Project Manager -Highways
Assistant Project Manager
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s most respected engineering, design and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Assistant Project Managers in our Gloucester office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highways projects within Gloucestershire and surrounding counties. Using your excellent people, multi-disciplinary technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. Initially you will be working on major highway projects being delivered under the Local Authority Framework Contract that we have with Gloucestershire County Council. We are looking to grow our civil engineering / highways design and supervision capability in the region based in Gloucester, you will also have the opportunity to work with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of the delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- Supporting technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Help oversee designs and the production and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures ensuring work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
- Developing more junior staff, typically apprentices by technical training and mentoring.
- Able to work and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams and work independently.
- Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships.
- To work as part of a collaborative team with the Client and stakeholders, developing strong and lasting relationships which promote aligned, efficient and smarter ways of working.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Actively working towards achieving CEng or IEng with the Institution of Civil Engineers (preferably).
- Good understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Manual for Streets.
- Preparation of reports.
- Preparing works packages, including bills of quantities, specifications and construction drawings.
- Assisting with the resolution of engineering problems.
- Able to ensure tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Assisting site supervision of highway improvement schemes.
- Excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Understanding of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Experience of CDM Regulations.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
- Experience of supervising highway works contracts.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel reliably and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Project Manager – Highways Transportation ProjectsAtkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 ta
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs