Assistant Project Manager
Assistant Project Manager
If you are building a career as a professional project manager with more than 3 years’ experience, and demonstrate leadership abilities, we are waiting for you to join our team.
Our team within the Nuclear Decommissioning Business specializes in taking on the most significant engineering projects in the Nuclear sector, in the UK and in Europe. It’s an exciting time for the decommissioning sector as growing significance and investment is made in the safe deconstruction of the ageing fleet of nuclear assets. Our team is growing rapidly, and we are looking to strengthen our team with individuals who can help deliver our key client’s projects in a range of professional services. We also support other parts of the Atkins Nuclear & Power business covering the full life cycle including nuclear new build and power generating assets.
The project management opportunities we have are varied in size and responsibility levels, from delivering our consultancy services and complex multi-disciplinary design. To being embedded within the client’s organisation delivering their projects and programmes and support to related procurement and commissioning activities.
You’ll have exceptional stakeholder communication and people management skills and thrive on working within a dynamic and diverse project delivery environment.
If this sounds like you, and you’re interested in delivering commercially and technically significant projects and programmes as part of a dynamic and outward looking business, then we’d love you to apply for this role.
- Working within our Nuclear and Power business sector in Bristol, you will lead the delivery of Atkins technical design and engineering projects or work directly for our key clients embedded into their major programmes.
- You must be able to appreciate complex practical, technical and commercial issues and to work constructively with a broad range of stakeholders; leading project teams that are either local to you or distributed across multiple sites.
- The opportunities we have are varied in size and nature and suit a range of project management styles and backgrounds. To help us grow the future of our business we are particularly keen to speak to individuals who are building a career as a professional project manager, are delivery focused, and enjoy being customer focused.
- Other aspects of the role will include supporting the growth of our capabilities through building a reputation for excellence, mentoring others, supporting business development and bidding activities.
You’ll have excellent communication, listening, stakeholder management and influencing skills. You’ll be able to manage client relationships, engage constructively with multiple stakeholders and lead delivery teams. Through your work you will also help support and shape the development of future business.
You’ll enjoy turning your hand to new challenges and will be keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams. You must also be able to successfully manage the commercial and quality performance of projects and proactively deploy a range of techniques to control delivery, cost, manage risk and change.
In addition to having excellent people and problem-solving skills, you’ll also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Direct and demonstrable experience of successfully managing one or more of the following types of projects to agreed time, cost and quality requirements.
- Consultancy services supplying engineering advice.
- Engineering design.
- Manufacturing and commissioning projects.
- Degree qualified in a related Engineering or Project Management discipline.
- Experience of leading and directing teams and resources. Able to motivate self and teams, deal with conflict and create a collaborative team culture to meet client requirements.
- A strong element of client relationship management and people leadership. Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to travel within the UK and abroad occasionally, as necessary.
- Willing to work flexibly with occasional out of hours work to accommodate project and client requirements.
Highly desirable but not essential is:
- Nuclear industry experience. Applications from candidates from other high hazard, or highly regulated industries such as process, Oil and Gas, Defence, and Aerospace would be welcomed.
- Delivering work under different types of engineering and construction contracts, (including NEC3, FEED and the negotiation of target, fixed price and time & materials engagements) is desirable.
Why work for Atkins?
The UK is the first major economy to legislate for a Net Zero target by 2050. To achieve this, our Energy Teams are ensuring a mix of secure and sustainable energies that can meet our industry and lifestyle demands today, and in 30 years' time. So, you'll be creating the right safe and resilient systems across nuclear power, renewables, decarbonisation development, new builds and energy efficiency. This includes delivering a sustainable nuclear life cycle from new build, through generation, to decommissioning and waste disposal.
We value your diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive – no exceptions. You'll be part of a culture committed to finding new talent from underrepresented groups. We're Disability Confident, an Inclusive Employer, and support STEM Returners. We also want to see more women in senior roles at Atkins. In the energy sector, we've signed up to the AXIS Pledge, promising to make equal pay, equal leadership, and equal opportunities a reality.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active program of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers.
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package. https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities and inclusion in the workforce, as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
The COVID-19 pandemic has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the UK nuclear industry has faced. Despite this, the UK Nuclear industry remains a key sector to deliver Net Zero and
If you are a degree qualified engineer and building a career as a professional project manager with 3 to 10 years’ experience, and demonstrate leadership abilities, we are waiting for you to join our
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs