Assistant Project Manager
Assistant Project Manager
The COVID-19 pandemic has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the UK nuclear industry has faced. Despite this, the UK Nuclear industry remains a key sector to deliver Net Zero and provide low carbon energy for future generations, and as such we are delighted to re-start our recruitment campaign to attract the best talent into Atkins.
The past few months have also highlighted what a truly global business we are, with our use of digital collaboration platforms enabling globally diverse teams to continue delivering for our clients no matter where staff are based. Our well-established flexible working practices and digital approach have proven that having a positive work life balance is achievable even in the most challenging of times, making Atkins a great place to develop your career. Although the future remains uncertain, the tools, systems and support available to you upon joining will enable a successful, remote induction into the business and will enhance your ability to work flexibly and remotely if required.
About the Project or About the Team:
As part of our Nuclear New Build business, our Project Delivery capability team specialises in taking on the most complex engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sector, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to support the delivery of new nuclear build.
Due to continued growth supporting our clients in the delivery of the next generation of Nuclear Power Stations, we are seeking an Assistant Project Manager, with a Mechanical, Electrical or HVAC background, to join our team. Working as an Assistant Project Manager, you will typically either be leading the delivery of Atkins engineering projects; or seconded to work directly for our key clients embedded into their major programmes. Your home office will be our Bristol office in Aztec West, one of our largest UK offices with a diverse mix of people from all around the world. However, as we support our clients you will be expected to travel and work from client sites across the UK as the role, project or secondment requires.
What you’ll be doing and what you’ll need to have?
The opportunities we have are varied in size and nature and suit a range of project management styles and backgrounds; but as a consultancy, we are looking for enthusiastic, self-starting individuals who will thrive on being able to adapt and use a combination of best practice project management and exceptional people management skills, to support the delivery of any challenge that is faced.
You will need to:
- Have exceptional stakeholder communication skills and thrive on working within a dynamic and diverse project delivery environment.
- Be able to appreciate complex practical, technical and commercial issues and to work constructively with a broad range of stakeholders; leading project teams that are either local to you or distributed across multiple sites.
- Have excellent communication, listening, stakeholder management and influencing skills. You’ll be able to manage client relationships, engage constructively with multiple stakeholders and lead delivery teams. Through your work you will also help support and shape the development of future business.
- Enjoy turning your hand to new challenges and will be keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
- Be able to successfully manage the commercial and quality performance of projects and proactively deploy a range of techniques to control delivery, cost, manage risk and change.
- Demonstrate the direct and demonstrable experience of successfully managing one or more of the following types of projects to agreed time, cost and quality requirements.
- Consultancy services supplying engineering advice.
- Engineering design.
- Manufacturing and commissioning projects.
- Be degree qualified in a related Engineering or Project Management discipline.
- Be able to motivate yourself and teams, deal with conflict and create a collaborative team culture to meet client requirements.
- Be willing to travel within the UK and abroad occasionally, as necessary.
- Willing to work flexibly with occasional out of hours work to accommodate project and client requirements.
Highly desirable but not essential are:
- Nuclear industry experience. Applications from candidates from other high hazard, or highly regulated industries such as process, Oil and Gas, Defence, and Aerospace would be welcomed.
- Delivering work under different types of engineering and construction contracts, (including NEC3, FEED and the negotiation of target, fixed price and time & materials engagements).
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
If you are building a career as a professional project manager with more than 3 years’ experience, and demonstrate leadership abilities, we are waiting for you to join our team.Our team within the Nuc
If you are a degree qualified engineer and building a career as a professional project manager with 3 to 10 years’ experience, and demonstrate leadership abilities, we are waiting for you to join our
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs