Assistant Radiological Protection Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
As a result of continued growth, we are looking to recruit a wide range of experienced Decommissioning/Waste Management and Radiological Protection professionals to help us in achieving our goal of becoming the global leader in this arena.
We are looking for creative individuals who want to shape the Atkins Decommissioning, Waste Management and Radiological Protection service offerings on a global scale. If you would like to be part of this journey and are keen to become part of the Atkins family then then we would love to hear from you.
Successful candidates will be based out of our Rutherford House (Whitehaven) office delivering high hazard decommissioning working as part of a multi-discipline team. Responsibilities for the role will be focused around those detailed below, there will be an expectation to support other team members outside this specific discipline where the need arises. There will also be potential opportunity for national and international travel for the right candidates.
Provide support to senior staff on areas of Radiological Protection and Rad Waste Management in the following areas:-
- ALARP Assessments and Studies
- HAZOP/radiological hazard identification
- Dose estimation and management
- Risk Assessment and contingency arrangements
- Waste Management, Characterisation/sampling plans and analysis
- Dosimetry requirements and arrangements
- Safety case support
- Fault dose calculations
- Inactive trials and dose optimisation of tasks
- Specifying ALARP measures – including physical and managerial controls
- Shielding calculations
- Instrument selection, advice on maintenance and calibration requirements
- Briefings and coms on RP requirements and arrangements
- Analysis of radiological data – surveys, analysis results, fingerprints
- Post work reviews/lessons learned
- Other areas of RP and Waste Managements as requested RP input on design development – concept through to detailed.
- Safety Leadership
- Support other team members, sharing knowledge and experience.
- Use knowledge and experience to influence and improve project delivery.
- To assist successful delivery of projects, work to meet targets, work within budget and programme.
- Be customer focused, client liaison and communication.
- Work with projects and clients to help solve complex and challenging problems
- Liaise with Project Managers to deliver projects.
- Based in the Cumbria (Whitehaven) office.
Practical Radiological Protection experience in the nuclear industry.
An understanding of Rad Waste Requirements.
Able to work in the field and interact well with delivery teams.
Good standard of written English and the ability to write clear technical reports.
Innovative and open to ideas.
Flexible in approach, willing to travel to work on client sites.
Highly motivated and proactive, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
Interpersonal skills, able to build and develop relationships internally and externally.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Travel to other company sites may be necessary. There will also be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.