Assistant Structural Engineer
Atkins Infrastructure business is looking to appoint an Assistant Structural Engineer into our Belfast team to deliver the design of structural elements across a range of projects, in a multidiscipline environment.
About the Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice:
Our Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice is inspired by Atkins vision to be the world's best infrastructure consultancy. Our people are focused on our routes to market and driven to deliver for our clients, improve efficiencies, develop and exploit cutting edge technology, deliver safe and sustainable solutions, and develop our leaders of tomorrow.
Working collaboratively across the group we pride ourselves on the safe delivery of technically excellent engineering solutions in the built environment, with the end users in mind, to both external and internal clients. Our knowledge of contractor's construction techniques allows our teams to produce efficient designs that can be built. Our expertise covers the full array of activities through the life cycle associated with smart infrastructure, ranging from feasibility, planning, investigation, design and supervision of new assets through to assessment, measurement, repair and rehabilitation of existing assets.
The post will be based out of our Belfast office where we have a growing team and numerous exciting infrastructure projects across the UK and the opportunity to collaborate with our other offices across the UK in the delivery of schemes of various sizes and complexity.
We will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity for you to apply your knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills as well as growing your responsibility. As Assistant Engineer you would take ownership of certain aspects of a project. You will report upwards to the Design Lead and Project Manager.
This role offers excellent opportunities for career development for the right candidate, working toward chartered status.
• Undertake a key role within the design team on infrastructure projects
• Regular liaison with clients to develop good working relationships; understand client needs and help propose best value technical solutions to meet project challenges
• Production of aspects of design in accordance with relevant design standards and codes including client specific requirements
• Input to the preparation of high quality written reports
• Co-ordination of multiple discipline inputs (including civil, geotechnical, mechanical, electrical, environment, planning) to achieve integrated designs/solutions
• People and technical leadership of certain project aspects, delegating to and supervising technicians
• Assist in implementing our project BIM strategy including use of integrated design tools and data management systems
• Assist the Project Manager in managing the scope, budget and programme for the structural engineering elements of projects
• Honours Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (Minimum 2:1)
• Candidate should be working towards chartership status (MICE or MIStructE)
• A good understanding of structural behaviour is essential, together with a strong passion for solving structural problems
• The candidate should be a team player, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability. Diligence and attention to detail are key attributes.
• Established skill in structural analysis and detailed design of a broad range of structures in both concrete and steel using Eurocodes. Water retaining concrete design experience is preferable but not essential.
• Practical experience of reinforced concrete detailing to Eurocodes
• Working knowledge of relevant structural design software e.g. Robot, Staad Pro
• Experience of working on projects across the various implementation stages from concept to construction stage, working within a multi-disciplinary environment
• Experience working with CAD Technicians and design team to produce relevant structural information of the highest quality
• Experience working within small focused project teams including offshore design centre resources is preferable
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project.
• Awareness and experience of working to budget and programme, and to control costs and manage change control processes
• A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
• Experience of working as part of a team in contact with clients, contractors, design team and third parties is desirable.
• Ability to build good working client and internal relationships.
• Valid driving licence
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Newcastle upon Tyne