Assistant Structural Engineer
We are seeking Assistant Structural Engineer for our Building Design Practice in Newcastle.
Atkins provide civil and structural engineering design across the full spectrum of market sectors particularly: Commercial, Education, Government, Leisure, Health, Energy, Defence, Aviation and Transport sectors. Due to an increase in orders, we are expanding our North East building structures team and have a vacancy for a full-time assistant structural engineer in our Newcastle office. The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary environment delivering a variety of new build, refurbishment and historic projects.
You will have the full support of the Structures Team who will provide guidance and support to allow you to fully engage with the developments taking place within our business. Atkins is committed to providing a world class service to its clients with a reputation for quality and excellence. Your role will include:
- Design of small to medium sized projects, or sections of larger projects, to achieve the client’s objectives to cost and programme, with the support of a senior engineer.
- Production of design calculations in accordance with Euro Codes, specifications and tender documents, obtaining tenders and quotations, tender adjudication and analysis.
- Gathering of information, surveys, research and report writing.
- General knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
- Monitoring site works to establish that it is being carried out in accordance with specifications and methods statements.
- Preparation and submission of applications for Building Regulations, Planning or Listed Building consents.
- Assisting with the development of Client relationships, Compliance with Atkins and client QSSE procedures.
- Assisting in establishing client briefs, appropriate fees, and commercial management through to completion.
We are looking for a key individual committed to long term development of their personal skills and career objectives. The individual will have a strong commitment to team work, diligence, creativity and building relationships. Your expertise will include:
- An accredited honors degree or equivalent in Civil/Structural Engineering
- A committed determination to achieve a structures based chartered engineer qualification, either IStructE or ICE
- An engaging personality with excellent verbal communication skills
- Highly motivated and a self-starter with the ability to work independently or as part of a multi-disciplinary team within a consultative environment.
- Competent in using Microsoft EXCEL and Word. A working knowledge of design and draughting software such as Revit, NBS, TEDDS, Building Designer and ROBOT would be an advantage.
- Exemplary organisational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent specification and report writing skills.
- An appropriate working knowledge of Construction, Health and Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, and contract law.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.