Assistant Tax Manager
Assistant Tax Manager
SNC-Lavalin is going through an exciting period of change. A Canadian listed engineering and construction firm, on July 2017 they acquired the UK engineering consultancy Atkins bringing with it a great opportunity to re-position the SNC-Lavalin brand in the eyes of our markets and ahead of our competitors. The combined group now has approximately 50,000 employees around the world and both Atkins and SNC-L’s offerings combined give us the opportunity to continue our growth. The future of engineering and construction is in the greater use of data, combined with technologies to deliver our services more efficiently and bring different offerings to our clients. From apps, virtual reality and artificial intelligence, to mobility as a service and digital asset management, we are combining our traditional engineering skills with technology to fundamentally change the way we do things.
SNCL Tax currently have an opportunity for an Assistant Corporate Tax Manager in our Epsom office, reporting to a Senior International Tax Manager. The assistant tax manager will be part of a tax group (composed of more than 40 professionals, organized by regions) of a multinational company. The senior tax specialist will provide tax advice to business development teams and controllers in the assigned region. This person will also support the senior tax manager with international tax planning initiatives. SNC-Lavalin is big enough to have resources and interesting, varied tasks, while the tax team is small enough that a single person has autonomy and can make an impact. If you are curious, have a strong team attitude with organizational skills, and are looking for a compelling place to work, do not hesitate to apply.
Overview of key responsibilities:
The primary responsibility is to be a Tax business partner to the UK & Europe business (and potentially other areas too) providing advice to non-finance staff in a clear, comprehensive manner. In addition, you will work with the other members of the Global Tax Team (based in Canada, the UAE and the UK) and support head office tax reporting and compliance requirements.
- Advise on the tax implications and incremental costs of commercial bids and the implementation of tax mitigation strategies
- Carry out tax research to determine the tax implications in foreign jurisdictions of projects and transactions, including various Tax Treaty provisions.
- Assist in supporting the provision of tax advice on the Group’s corporate structuring issues including on acquisitions, divestments, joint ventures and reorganizations, country start-ups and closures.
- Support in tax audits and tax disputes (coordination with external service providers).
- Review of foreign company tax returns prepared by external service providers.
- Manage tax risks.
- Assist with various other international tax issues such as indirect sales tax on cross-border transactions, cash repatriation, transfer pricing.
- Ensure the appropriate level of documentation is created and maintained to support analyses performed, decisions made and conclusions reached for purposes of reporting and compliance.
- Monitor and analyse the changes to tax legislation that impact the Group and communicate best practices to address any such changes;
- Develop and implement tools for efficient taxes management.
- Effectively build a range of business and other stakeholder relationships with the business units and ensure coordination, as the tax team works closely with members across a global tax department and external stakeholder teams (Accounting, Legal, Insurance, Treasury).
- Provide tax desk support for ad-hoc tax enquiries from the Group’s UK and overseas businesses.
Skills & attributes:
- Qualified Chartered Accountant ACA or similar required, and CTA or International Diploma desirable.
- Up to 5 years post qualified experience within an International Tax environment
- Knowledge of the engineering, construction, energy services or wider services sectors desirable.
- Proactive and able to take ownership of projects to manage and deliver projects. Able to prioritize and juggle workload effectively.
- Demonstrates a keen interest in business and an inquisitive mind. Solution focused with an eye for risk and the financial and behavioral impact of actions. Appreciates the value of succinct communication.
- Demonstrates strong research skills with ability to quickly and accurately interpret commercial, legal and financial data, and to analyse, advise on, and assist with implementing complex trading structures.
- Keen to develop new capabilities, resourceful, able to deliver at a high level under pressure. Professional and team orientated, energetic, focused, productive, and dependable.
- Good technical knowledge of established tax system (both Direct and Indirect taxes) as well as cross-border trading (WHT, PEs, Income Taxes, VAT)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and benefits:
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, well-being, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
ATKINS recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs