Assistant Telecommunications Designer
Assistant Telecommunications Designer
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
The unique breadth of services in transportation, combined with our scale, makes us the leading UK transport engineering consultancy, enabling us to inspire our people and collaborate with our clients to shape the future of transportation.
Reporting to one of the Team Leaders in our Railway Communications Practice, the Assistant Telecommunications Designer will work as part of a design team delivering a diverse range of Rail Telecommunications Projects. A small selection of current projects includes East West Rail Alliance, High Speed 2, Level Crossing Framework, Track Alliance Framework, Network Rail Telecommunications Secondments (Part of the Network Rail Telecommunications framework). We have a wide variety of projects delivered Nationwide.
The role will be based in Birmingham.
Atkins Railway Communications and Information Systems (C&IS) team is part of our Signalling & Communications delivery business. As such you will be part of a resource group comprising over 400 staff, with a £100m per annum turnover. We are a key supplier to Network Rail on many of its major S&T schemes (including the Feltham Re-signalling programme) and as one of NRT’s suppliers on their Network Design and Integration Services Framework. We also have developing relationships with TFL, London Underground and several contractors. The Signalling and Comms business, core activities consist of design, construction, testing, engineering and project management of signalling projects – combined with Intelligent Transportation Systems consultancy and design, a railway safety training school and several roles around airport communications and security systems. Reflecting our technical expertise and scale, we are often involved in the largest and most complex projects, which have a significant impact on and ability to enhance the UK’s rail network and stations infrastructure.
Rail experience is not a pre-requisite and candidates from other sectors looking for a new challenge would be considered.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Qualifications or experience in Electronics Engineering or Telecommunications.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Experience of working within the railway environment.
- Experience of working within a design environment.
- Experience of using appropriate industry standard CAD (2D/3D, BIM) packages.
- Knowledge of IP/Ethernet.
- IRSE Assistant Telecoms Design License
- Member of IET / IRSE or other relevant institution, attained TechEng.
Essential Person Qualities
- Willing and able to learn.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Can do attitude and flexible.
- Able to work within a team, but also be self motivating.
- Fit and able to work trackside / hold PTS.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and prioritise duties.
- Work within our project teams to assist with the production of telecommunications designs.
- Under the guidance of our engineers you will be expected to learn CAD and Visio.
- Assist with trackside, station and signalling centre surveys.
- Work with our construction and test teams to learn the difficulties experienced on site, including the production of testing documentation.
- Assist during critical commissioning periods in delivering new products and systems into service.
- Review of client documentation to assist with requirements capture.
- Attendance at internal and external co-ordination, progress and design review meetings.
- Work with the other discipline engineers to gain an appreciation of the interfaces encountered when designing telecommunications systems.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs