Associate Air Quality Consultant
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to further your career as an air quality consultant and work on some of the largest and most interesting air quality projects in the UK? We are seeking candidates for an associate air quality specialist to join our expanding Air Quality and Emissions team. The role would be based in London, Epsom, Bristol, Birmingham, Warrington, Manchester, Edinburgh or Glasgow, although we would consider alternative locations for the right candidate.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, providing services for clients across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
The Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division is committed to providing specialist air quality consultancy services in connection with a wide range of land development, transport and energy projects. Our work includes undertaking desk and field based air quality assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality management, mitigation design, air quality surveys, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools.
We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches to meet challenging timescales, and work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
Atkins currently has 17 air quality consultants based in offices primarily in our South East “centre of excellence”. We operate across the UK and internationally, working closely with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines, across all the diverse markets Atkins works in.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Lead technical teams on a day to day basis on a variety of projects;
- Provide technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to staff in support of their technical development;
- Provide technical, programme and commercial management for air quality projects;
- Liaise with clients, stakeholders, regulators, subcontractors and other internal disciplines;
- Support senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers to maintain and expand the current client base;
- Report and present on key technical issues clearly and concisely such that the information is understandable to non-specialists; Work collaboratively as part of a wider team of other professionals (e.g. environmental scientists, engineers and planners) across Atkins, to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients;
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain continuing professional development, with support from the business; and
- Represent the company well and continue to build personal, team and company reputation.
If you think you are the right person to join our team and can demonstrate the qualifications and experience criteria below, then we look forward to hearing from you.
- A degree in a relevant scientific discipline, and preferably also a Masters;
- Chartered (or actively working towards such) with a relevant professional institute [If not yet Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become Chartered within 12 months of joining.]
The following criteria are essential:
- Excellent interpersonal, technical, project management and client management skills.
- A proven track record in air quality consultancy with knowledge of and experience in developing emissions inventories, undertaking detailed dispersion modelling, environmental impact assessment, options appraisals and feasibility studies;
- Experience of undertaking air quality assessments in support of large infrastructure projects, particularly transport schemes, with attention to detail, strong problem-solving and data interpretation skills;
- Experience in developing air quality and emissions business opportunities, either alone or as part of wider team supporting;
- Excellent working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of relevant legislation, policy, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice relating to air quality;
- Experience of project management, supervision and quality assurance of air quality packages of work including managing others to delivery against high technical standards;
- Able to present own and others’ work to clients and stakeholders at meetings;
- Commercial awareness and understanding, and able to prepare complete responses to tenders;
- An understanding of the importance of health and safety risk management;
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence; and
- The legal right to work in the UK.
- Experience in the justification, design and/or assessment of low emission and/or clean air zones.
- Experience in environmental permitting and industrial modelling;
- Security cleared for work on nuclear and defence projects;
- Able to mentor staff and technically check their work, and complete peer reviews of other consultants’ work;
- Formal people management opportunities are available for the right candidate, if desired.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.