Associate Building Services Engineer - Rail & Transportation Building focus - London or Birmingham
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins’ Infrastructure business provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of projects relating to buildings and infrastructure. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including Airports, Defence, Energy, Cities and Development, Education and Rail.
Atkins Building Design division have a great opportunity for an Associate Building Services Engineer to join our UK team, based in London or Birmingham, to take a lead role on projects and clients within the Stations / Transport Oriented Development market. As an Associate within the UK Practice you will take a lead role in providing both business development and technical / team leadership for buildings and infrastructure related projects. The structure of the Building Design business means that you could be taking up a lead role on both local and global engineering opportunities.
The role will involve a focus on both project delivery and building client relationships in order to maximise client satisfaction and secure future work opportunities. The role will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills and contribute to the development of the Atkins Building Design business.
- Responsible for the continued development of Atkins presence in the Rail & Transportation Buildings Market, with an ability to contribute to opportunities throughout the UK, with a particular focus on London and the SE or the Midlands.
- Contribute to the wider business development process within Atkins, both within the Building Design division and with the wider elements of Atkins organisation
- Support the business development team in contributing to campaigns including active participation in processes such as 100 day sprints
- Be outward facing to the Markets including liaising with clients, professional organisations, contractors, suppliers and sub-contractors - able to develop new and/or existing areas of business
- Develop, in conjunction with other colleagues, existing Client contacts to maintain and develop Client base
- Be able to ‘own’ the necessary responses to project opportunities and provide both strategic & specific input into bids and proposals. Successful in identifying and following through on leads associated with new and existing clients. Able to discuss the operating and business unit technologies and markets
- Responsible for the preparation of fee proposals for submission to potential Clients with an ability to realistically estimate pricing and produce successful responses to bids across a range of expertise
- Provide regular advice to the Practice Manager / Market Director regarding opportunity pipelines, potential staff levels, present and future workload, operating standards, etc.
- Maintain some responsibility for effective delivery of engineering project teams, including providing technical input and supervision of others within the Building Services team
- Undertake Client/Design Team briefings to establish project criteria
- Promote and incorporate sustainable design wherever possible
- Promote and improve inter-discipline working within the Building Design division (Architecture, Building Surveying, Civil and Structural Engineering)
- Degree in Building Services / Mechanical / Electrical Engineering (or equivalent qualification)
- Chartered Engineer
- Membership of CIBSE, IMechE, IET or equivalent institution
- Thorough knowledge of the Rail & Transportation Buildings Market Place and a track record of generating business opportunities whilst developing client relationships - proven ability to build up and maintain client and team relationships
- Similar experience working in a design consultancy, with experience of business development as well as design (concept, scheme and detail design across a range of sectors)
- Ability to manage projects and design commissions relating to building services including project finances.
- A good understanding of quality assurance, Rail operator assurance processes, safety and environmental sustainability
- Working knowledge and use of relevant software packages – with an understanding of developing digital technologies
- Financial awareness and the ability to control project finances
- Effective team worker, contributing to the team and wider objectives
- Possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to understand and express technical concepts clearly and accurately.
- Working knowledge of common forms of contract such as NEC, JCT etc
- Awareness of key legislation, regulations and industry standards relevant to Building Services, i.e. building regs, London Plan, BREEAM,etc.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.