Associate Chartered Engineer - Seismic Expert
Atkins Infrastructure business, through the Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology practice, are looking to strengthen their Seismic Technical Network by the appointment of an Associate Chartered Engineer. The role is to be based principally in the South East (Euston and Epsom core offices).
The role would join a body of technically focused engineers who aim to provide solutions to complex problems. There is a demand for an analytically focused, practically minded Engineer, with a Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering background in the field of Seismic and Geotechnics, who is looking for a challenge.
Successful applicants will join a forward-thinking team, working in a collaborative environment, and will be given opportunities to make real contributions to major engineering projects
- Delivering multiple projects or parts of larger projects to completion, within cost budget and to programme
- Ensuring the provision of efficient and high quality engineering services, to a high level of quality assurance
- First point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties
- Technically lead, collaborate and motivate within a technically orientated team in the field of Seismic Design
- Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team whilst taking responsibility for the quality and technical content of the work produced
- Collaborate with project management team to plan for effective staff resourcing, manage deliveries to programme and advise on progress of work
- Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
- Build client and internal relationships and help identify business opportunities
- Ensure Quality of Seismic Engineering and compliance with Project process and integrated digitally with the Technical Networks
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in Environment, Safety, Health, Security and Quality
- Ensure duties of design in relation to CDM and other relevant regulations are executed
- Support knowledge base development within the Infrastructure Practice, which would involve integrating across Atkins Practices
- Chartered Engineer Status (MICE, MIStructE or MIMechE)
- Expertise in seismic analysis and design methods in reinforced concrete and steelwork using a variety of internationally recognised codes, ideally for Nuclear Classified Structures
- Provide expert opinion and knowledge in all aspects of analysis and design related to the civil engineering of seismic structures, and in particular that related to the seismic hazard
- Knowledge of geotechnical engineering, hazard and accidental load conditions
- Practical experience of reinforced concrete design and RC detailing of complex reinforced concrete structures, to British Standards and preferably American codes
- Familiarity and considerable experience in the use of numerical modelling to ground structure interaction problems using commercially available finite element and finite difference packages
- Have experience, and a want to, technically lead, collaborate and motivate within a technically orientated team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage and work to budget and programme, to control costs and manage change control processes
- A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
Recognised figure within the UK seismic engineering profession with experience interfacing with the ONR in the civil engineering area
Practical and technical knowledge of in-structure shock and the seismic qualification of equipment
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles