Associate Civil Engineer / Associate Director – Heavy Civil Structural Engineering
Atkins Infrastructure business are looking to appoint an Associate Civil Engineer / Associate Director to provide technical leadership and develop new and current opportunities within the Heavy Civil Structural Engineering discipline. This position will form part of our national Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology practice, with all the opportunities for collaboration that this brings, but with a specific focus on Heavy Civil Structural Engineering, especially within the Energy, Defence and Water markets.
The Infrastructure business provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of building and infrastructure projects. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and with a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects. We pride ourselves in offering a truly multi-disciplinary working environment and bring exciting opportunities to influence a project from beginning to end.
This key post will be based in either our Epsom or London offices and will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills whilst providing good opportunities for career development. The post will include provision of technical leadership to both the practice and the wider Atkins business through our technical networks – these bring together groups of technical specialists from the business, who collaborate in winning and delivering work, as well as exchanging knowledge and best practice to develop the technical capacity and overall capability of the network and business.
If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead then we would like to hear from you.
- Design Team Leader for heavy civil structural engineering designs, delivering multiple projects or parts of larger projects to completion, within cost budget and to programme.
- Ensuring the provision of efficient and high quality engineering services, to a high level of quality assurance
- Production and review of designs for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes
- Provide leadership from both a technical delivery and people management perspective
- First point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties
- Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team
- Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
- Build client and internal relationships and help identify and develop business opportunities
- Working with our key clients to maintain and develop excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business
- Leadership of technical aspects of bids and estimating manning requirements
- Coordinating with global resource leaders within Atkins to share work and to work collaboratively across the Atkins Group;
Please read these requirements carefully before applying and ensure they are evident on your CV if you have achieved them.
- Honours Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Chartered Engineer (MICE or MIStructE)
- Significant, established and practical skill and experience in the analysis and design of heavy civil engineering structures, including reinforced concrete, structural steel, structural detailing, dynamics, blast, structural engineering mechanics, concept design, detailed design and construction.
- Experience and understanding of relevant American and British structural design standards
- Extensive experience of working on multi-discipline projects
- Experience in, and a desire to provide, technical leadership and collaboration within a technically orientated delivery team, and more widely across a practice and/or business
- Proven experience working in one or more civil engineering sectors including energy, defence and water.
- Ability to manage and work to budget and programme, to control costs and manage change control processes
- Experience of working with, and managing, small focused technical teams
- Proven track record of successful Client Management
In addition, you will:
- have a proactive, co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and client
- have a supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team
- have a self-motivating, reliable and consistent approach to work
- be practically minded with a problem solving nature
- have a proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and create a well-motivated team
- have the ability to find solutions to complex organisational problems
- be able to work independently and in teams
- have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- take acceptance of responsibility for work carried out
- have a flexible and adaptable approach to work
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- have a flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
- have a flexible approach to work location
- have the ability to make decisions and act on your own initiative
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation), or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles