Associate Civil Engineer - Water Sector
Associate Civil Engineer - Water Sector
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering, design consultancy and construction providing our staff with opportunities to work on the most exciting and diverse water projects Worldwide, including the UK.
Following an exciting and very successful start to AMP7 and expansion of our International portfolio, the Infrastructure division is seeking to appoint a number of Associate Civil Engineers to join our Water Sector focussed team based at our Epsom office.
We welcome a variety of experience and plan to utilise your specialist skills to support our team in winning and delivering innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our broad range of strategic UK and international clients, across both Clean Water and Wastewater infrastructure and non-infrastructure areas. This includes treatment plants, desalination, pipeline and pumping stations, collection and storage systems.
If you have a passion for engineering and would like to join Atkins SNC-Lavalin in our challenging growth plan in the UK and around the World, creating great career opportunities, we would be keen to hear from you.
The engineering services we offer to our clients require us to be able to deliver in an agile and future-facing environment. The following are therefore examples of the type of responsibilities and requirements we seek/need you to have, working as part of our dynamic multidisciplinary water/wastewater design team.
- Lead as a Project/Design Manager or Discipline Lead on project delivery across UK and international project lifecycles: feasibility studies, front-end to detailed design (incl. Design and Build), and construction support.
- Lead on work winning through bid management; production of proposals, fees, scope definition, and quality answers in response to client tenders, in accordance with Akins’ bid management system.
- Client or contractor engagement (incl. Design & Build) to lead discussions on technical water civil engineering solutions, to technical and non-technical clients – both during project delivery and bidding stages.
- Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary environment across teams Worldwide, including the UK, to ensure successful delivery of projects.
- Lead the efficient delivery of projects to meet programme and budget, complying with Atkins’ business management governance
- Undertake technical design and/or review and supervision of project teams’ design deliverables including engineering design calculation, drawings and report writing complying with Akins’ design management system
- Lead on quality and safe design of technical solutions for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes.
- Champion the application of digital engineering initiatives and execution of innovative advances in water sector solutions
- Mentoring and line management responsibilities for team members from graduates to less experienced senior team members.
- Educated to degree level with a civil engineering bias; Chartered Member of a recognised engineering institution.
- Extensive hands on experience of design/design-&-build/project and bid delivery and leadership in the water and/or wastewater engineering sector Worldwide (UK and Gulf regions particularly).
- A strong technical water sector background, incl. knowledge of relevant UK and international codes and standards, for water and/or wastewater infrastructure and/or non-infrastructure assets.
- Highly motivated, organised and with a strong desire to promote technical excellence within project teams and wider Atkins team/practice,
- Experience of working with contractors to deliver the successful implementation of engineering solutions, including the Design & Build environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently within a multidisciplinary team including with Clients, Contractors and colleagues alike.
- Proven track record of innovation in the water sector – digital advances, circularity, low carbon, new materials, prefabrication etc.
- Flexible approach to work type and locations for project assignments, including overseas working or visits, if required.
The national Design & Advanced Technology (D&AT) practice within Atkins SNC-Lavalin Infrastructure division includes a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team with a varied and extensive global portfolio of projects. Our local teams incorporate expert process, mechanical, electrical and civil engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our global engineering technical network, you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
Why work with us?
As civil engineers, we understand the importance of water. We deliver innovative, cost-effective and sustainable infrastructure solutions to our clients. Smart engineering starts by understanding water client needs and applying knowledge, experience and tools to identify the best value solutions before any construction begins. We specialize in all aspects of water sector assets from treatment plants, desalination, pipeline and pumping stations, collection and storage systems. We continue to provide industry-leading engineering right through the project lifecycle, including during commissioning and optimization.
We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools to facilitate our work across all disciplines in the team. This enables us to quickly and efficiently evaluate a complex range of options with a clearly auditable trail, that underpins strategic planning and stands up to Regulator scrutiny.
Our people demonstrate through leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Rewards, benefits and career development, training
We offer a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the role and your skills and experience. Please refer to our website for further details. Our networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and personal goals. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We are proud of our flexible working environment empowering individuals to excel.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Atkins, a member SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering, design consultancy and construction providing our staff with opportunities to work on the most exciting and diverse water projec
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs