Associate Director - Bristol/Exeter
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career.
Do you have the drive, skills and experience to work with us as Associate Director for the Midlands, South West and Wales region of our Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology (CEAT) Practice. Would you like the opportunity to inspire, mentor, and lead a team of >40 engineers, apprentices, BIM professionals, all eager to succeed and develop to their utmost potential? Are you excited by the opportunity to develop your skills and those of others through delivering projects and programmes in the UK and internationally as part of a market leading digital engineering consultancy?
Reporting to the Regional Practice Manager and working closely with the other Practice Managers and Technical Authorities, you will help us to deliver market leading design and technical advisory services through our multidisciplinary teams. Leading teams within our Birmingham and Derby offices, you will be responsible for ensuring that staff recruitment, retention, deployment and development are first class, delivering the best quality service to our UK and international clients.
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced and adaptable individual with a passion for developing and leading a high performing technical team, with the objective of helping us continue to deliver sustainable and innovative projects to market-leading clients. Your ability to inspire and motivate our teams as part of a management team and to mentor and develop key individuals is at the heart of the role.
The Practices are the ‘technical powerhouse’ that forms the foundation of our organisation. As an Associate Director you will inspire others and work collaboratively to achieve targets, exceed client expectations and drive innovation to grow the Practice. The CEAT Practice within Atkins Infrastructure division works across a wide spectrum of industries including water and environment, energy, transportation, defence, cities and development, aviation, and heavy civil engineering projects for a wide range of clients. From this class-leading technical foundation, your inspirational leadership will help us face the challenges and take advantage of the digital revolution and embed innovation in delivery to clients.
In common with our team, you will have considerable experience across a range of industries and across a portfolio of UK and international clients.
• Inspire a best in class approach to the application of Health and Safety and CDM in the administration of business duties acting as a role model to those in your regional team
• Strengthen the technical capability teams in Birmingham and Derby to ensure it is profitable, sustainable and scalable
• Lead recruitment, performance management, personal development and training within Birmingham and Derby, including direct mentoring and line management of senior staff
• Create technical and operational excellence and growth through your participation and contribution as an inspirational member of the CEAT team.
• Integrate with the wider Engineering Practice, Infrastructure Division and other parts of Atkins as required to support the identity and values of the Atkins brand
• Adopt and champion Atkins Infrastructure systems and processes to ensure a robust approach to resource management, technical quality and commercial and financial performance.
• Collaborate with Atkins Client Directors, Technical Authorities and Practice Directors to build client relationships, prepare bids and win work including maximising additional/repeat/follow-on work.
• Take a lead by securing Project Director / Project Manager roles on significant projects, ensuring work is delivered to Client defined time/cost/quality standards and Atkins principles
• Secure personal workload
• Ability to apply strategic thinking to assist with the future shaping of the CEAT Practice and Birmingham and Derby offices in particular, including developing strong relationships with clients to reinforce our technical capability and business identity
• Ability to identify and employ innovation in the development of leading edge processes and technologies
• Strong collaborative and networked behaviours to interface with Practice Director, Practice Managers, Client Directors and other stakeholders.
• Strong communication skills to interface with clients and internal stakeholders.
• An exceptional track record of establishing, leading and maintaining high performing project or business teams
• Experience of civil engineering across a range of disciplines/sectors
• A strong track record of resource planning and performance management
• Experience of project management and leadership
• An established industry profile preferably in one or more fields of civil engineering
• Experience of working with off shore support teams would be an advantage
• Engineering Chartership with a recognised UK institution
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.