Associate Director - Energy Master Planning
Associate Director - Energy Master Planning
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. This includes energy efficiency and carbon management services, asset management and whole life costing, as well as broader sustainability strategy services. Our five-year plan includes growing our services in early consultancy to support our Clients strategic needs such as developing their energy strategies as well as growing in-use performance evaluation.
We are looking to appoint an Associate Director into our Building Design practice. This is an exciting role to take the lead on one of our key focus areas of Net Zero Carbon and Energy Masterplanning, develop a UK team and work across a range of Infrastructure and Building sectors. The candidate should have solid experience in delivering consultancy services in the energy arena including; energy policy definition for clients, development of energy masterplans and decarbonisation roadmaps, support for development planning processes, and the provision of technical advice and guidance in other areas of low carbon consultancy with a focus on energy efficiency and low carbon technologies and their implementation in a wide range of sectors.
This role will report directly into the Building Services Senior Leadership Team, will have influence over the 200 Building Services Engineers in the UK.
This is a strategic role to enhance our net zero carbon and low energy service offerings to suit our Client’s increasing requirements.
Atkins (part of the SNC-Lavalin Group), is a leading provider of Energy and low carbon services within the UK. We provide a range of support and insight to large UK private and public-sector clients.
We are looking to recruit a knowledgeable and skilled Associate Director with
You will work at a strategic level, collaborating with the whole range of skillsets that are offered by Atkins, to develop a world class energy master planning service offering, with the ability to influence blue chip clients and projects.
You will also work closely with both delivery & bid teams to capture internal and external business opportunities in the area of energy planning and decarbonisation roadmaps. For specific projects, you’ll have the capability to construct a brief for the inclusion of an energy plan, provide a comprehensive strategic bid response and contribute to the management of a team to deliver project energy solutions. You’ll define strategic energy issues and develop processes for the bidding & delivery teams to follow to ensure Atkins remains at the forefront of Net Zero and resilient energy business delivery.
- Degree qualified in a Building Services related discipline or similar and Chartered with a relevant institution or equivalent.
- Ability to influence senior management and peers within the industry and positively challenge decisions and processes
- Significant experience in the concepts/theories/practicalities of energy systems design and compliance requirements
- Extensive project experience, necessitating high levels of technical competence with a strong focus and track record of the delivery of energy plans and designs
- Experience working on a variety of major multi-discipline design projects
- Demonstrable leadership and people management skills with the ability to run a team and expand an energy consultancy business strategy
- Good commercial awareness, business management skills and results orientation
- Customer focused with a high level of relationship management skills
- Confident ability with good communication skills and a professional approach to clients and other Atkins employees – able to facilitate discussion sessions on Energy matters
- Ability to collate information and have a clear and structured approach to report writing
- A good knowledge of the application of energy planning processes, the options available and suitable technical approaches to achieve low and zero carbon schemes such as decentralised and renewable energy sources, waste heat/energy recovery, modelling and heatmapping, energy storage and networks, economic and carbon modelling, emerging technologies such as hydrogen and fuel cells, offsetting and capture and so on. .
- Own technical responsibility and operational accountability for defining process on energy optimisation and provision on projects
- Familiar with relevant industry standards and guidelines relating to energy performance
- Knowledgeable of UK Government policy and other industry initiatives that relate to energy use and zero/low carbon developments.
- Comfortable in communicating and challenging other cross-discipline design team members to arrive at the optimum energy design solution.
- Able to demonstrate a full understanding of the key building design considerations and how they impact on energy issues when working on projects
- Able to represent the company as a Subject Matter Expert on Energy matters
- Providing technical and advisory support to clients in a wide range of areas including;
- Energy policy definition
- Energy auditing and options development
- Renewable feasibility studies
- Whole life carbon assessments
- Net Zero Carbon roadmaps
- Providing advice to clients and design teams on the most cost-effective and beneficial route to carbon emissions reduction
- Generate good working relationships with internal and external clients and develop a client relationship management strategy
- Take responsibility for key client management for specific clients
- Manage others performance to ensure customers receive a good service
- Provide management, motivation, inspiration and Energy leadership for the Building Design team engaged on projects
- Shape the overall Energy Planning Team with good team leader skills in order to grow the business
- Recognise and develop talent in others; leads by example
- Identify and nurture talent in others to build a high performing and technically sound team
- Produce and implement Energy Masterplanning tactical marketing plans and ensure monthly business activities are undertaken regularly.
- Develop Net Zero Carbon marketing material, bid documents, etc.
- Customer focussed and build, maintain and nurture a high-profile client base
- Ability to build and maintain strong business relationships with internal and external clients
- Active in industry facing discussion forums and interest groups
- Commercially aware and capable of identifying and securing internal and external project opportunities
- Where appropriate, takes commercial responsibility for the delivery of the Energy Planning Team engaged on a project
- Take a long term strategic view of business growth, specifically in relation to Energy Masterplanning
- Bidding for project opportunities in compliance with business guidelines
- Project cost control
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
In addition to competitive core benefits, Atkins operates a flexible benefits programme which includes the ability to buy up to 15 days of extra holiday each year, a cycle to work scheme and a 24/7 confidential Employee Assistance Programme, private health care, amongst many other options.
Atkins is committed to developing the knowledge and skills of our employees. As well as providing a training budget, the successful candidate will benefit from tailored mentoring and support towards achieving their career goals, such as Chartership and beyond.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company.
Atkins will support you in your ongoing professional development. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social clubs providing a wide range of activities. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Cities & development
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs