Associate Hydrogeologist (Contaminated land & Hydrogeology)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology (CL&H) Practice is a well-established, award winning, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team.
CL&H provides support to a number of the largest UK-based and international infrastructure projects; examples include Sizewell C, Crossrail, eight2o, Thames Tideway, Humber Gateway offshore windfarm, East West Rail and HS2. Our hydrogeologists use the full range of their skills, working on water resources and land contamination projects as well as providing innovative solutions to engineering challenges. Our client and project bases are highly diverse with current projects in the nuclear new build sector, oil and gas sector, regeneration and redevelopment of brownfield land, and major road, rail and aviation infrastructure projects.
We are currently looking to appoint an experienced Associate Hydrogeologist to join our growing team. Ideally you would be based in either Epsom, London or Cambridge, however, we can be flexible with location and have other offices in Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle, Warrington, Leeds and Glasgow.
The vacancy is for someone who will combine excellent project delivery with exceptional client management and business development. You will manage projects working with our experienced team to deliver excellence to our diverse client base. You will work closely with a wide range of other professionals to deliver holistic solutions to engineering and environmental problems and to identify new opportunities. You will be expected to be involved with enhancement of technical excellence, business development, project management, and the training and mentoring of more junior staff.
- Develop technical capability within the Engineering Hydrogeology Technical Network through service development (including digital tools), technical excellence development, and training and mentoring of staff.
- Provide technical leadership on hydrogeological projects (managing delivery and technically reviewing others’ work), including site investigation design and interpretation, development of robust conceptual site models, controlled waters risk assessments, numerical modelling and design reports.
- Provide technical review of complex groundwater models relating to groundwater flow, contamination transport and civil engineering challenges.
- Lead on work-winning, client development, preparation of proposals and input into bids for multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
- Maintain excellent professional relationships which will lead to and secure repeat business.
- Work effectively as part of a team and with other professionals (environmental scientists, engineers, planners) to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
- Develop clients within key strategic markets such as developers, nuclear, transportation, energy and oil and gas.
- BSc in geology or other relevant subject (e.g. earth science or other science discipline).
- MSc or PhD in hydrogeology or related subject.
- Chartered Membership of relevant professional body (if not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining).
- A minimum of 12 years relevant post-graduate experience (ideally within a consultancy environment) with a track record in winning and delivering high-profile work.
- Significant experience in engineering hydrogeology.
- Capable of technical review of numerical groundwater modelling (ideally with experience in MODFLOW and/or FEFLOW as well as 2-d packages, for example SEEP/W).
- Experienced in designing and managing hydrogeological investigations.
- Proven project management experience delivering complex projects to budget and programme.
- Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
- Skilled at collaborative working, with excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively at all levels. Supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of the relevant legislation, technical guidance, industry standards and best practice.
- Good understanding of commercial issues and business development.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Good time management skills.
- Experience of working on projects within the oil and gas or nuclear sectors.
- Willingness to travel and take part in overseas projects.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern and flexible working locations for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We have a Geological Society accredited training scheme specifically for hydrogeologists. Training and development needs are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving and maintaining corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles