Associate Structural Engineer
Associate Structural Engineer
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
We are seeking an Associate Structural Engineer with demonstrable experience at senior level and with strong client facing and business development skills. The role will be based in our Glasgow office. This new appointment is part of our aspiration to develop and grow our structural capability in Scotland and the wider UK.
You will be a Chartered Civil/Structural Engineer with a proven track record of successful delivery of design projects from concept to detailed design and completion of construction and you will be responsible for the technical direction of our Client’s projects. Credibility, competence and technical excellence are a given as the role requires close working with our internal and external clients, decision makers, industry stakeholders and other consultants to develop robust design solutions through collaborative and proactive management of client demands - providing leadership from both a technical delivery and people management perspective.
You will be required to demonstrate a developed understanding of the market and industry and ability to focus our business to take full advantage of market conditions and have extensive experience in preparing bids and tendering opportunities.
Our Glasgow office provides multidisciplinary design and engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of sectors. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects. These include Airports, Defence, Energy, Civil Infrastructure, Education and Rail.
This key appointment offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem solving skills to lead and develop a major part in the development of our business.
- Degree-qualified Civil / Structural Engineer
- Chartered (CEng) Civil/Structural Engineer with an industry profile
- A member of the Approved Certifier of Design Scheme (SER Certifier)
- Extensive post graduate experience in major structural engineering building projects
- Proven track record in design delivery with specific experience of; steel, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber designs from concept to detailed delivery, foundation design and structural analysis, construction delivery, specialist skills such as port design, blast design, airport design, bridges and tunnels
- Detailed knowledge of design codes and standards relating to structural engineering
- Detailed knowledge and experience of 2D and 3D design software packages and suitability of their use at project level
- Knowledge of construction implementation with proven site supervision and contract administration experience.
- Proven track record in delivering technically excellent design projects on time and to budget
- Sound commercial understanding of the consultancy business
- Good communicator (written, verbal & presentations)
- A natural curiosity for developing innovative and cost effective solutions for our clients
- Natural team builder, developing the technical excellence of our growing team.
- Able to develop and motivate others
- A winning attitude
- Proven record of developing client relationships and winning new consultancy work
- Identify opportunities, lead and support business development and work winning / bidding activities
- Establish, develop and maintain relationships with key and prospective clients
- Technical responsibility for structural engineering design delivery
- Review calculations, drawings, specifications and act as SER Certifier on projects.
- Project Management and Design Management of our consultancy services, delivering projects to time and to budget. Management and technical development of our capabilities and individual Engineers
- Client and stakeholder interface
- Co-ordination and management of other discipline inputs into projects
- Development and growth of the structural engineering team
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need.You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs