Aviation Project Director
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Charlotte, North Carolina Aviation Group as an Aviation Project Director.
Under general direction, manages complex and unconventional technology or delivery systems for a single significant project within aviation. Projects typically involve high levels of regulatory agency involvement or very complex technical requirements. Typical projects might include construction management engagements, significant design-build or design-build-operate-maintain undertakings, and major and unique structures. Provides leadership, direction, and technical guidance to senior project managers and project managers within assigned area of responsibility to ensure that quality management and technical services are provided to clients and that operating performance targets are met. Mentors senior project managers and project managers associated with sophisticated and unconventional projects. Projects of this magnitude generally involve net revenues totaling between $2.5 million to $5 million annually and require specialized expertise.
- Coordinating, directing, and/or managing the activities of airport related airside and landside planning, design and construction projects.
- Reviewing airport projects to ensure that goals and objectives are accomplished within schedule and within budget. Also, enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the project.
- Overseeing the activities of Project Managers, Engineers, Planners, and Technicians to ensure project delivery is completed within goals and objectives.
- Reviews proposals and selects interview teams; reviews and recommends project marketing budgets subject to approval by senior management.
- Coordination of multiple disciplines both internal and external to the company.
- Maintain positive and collaborative relationships with current and past clients as assigned.
- Developing and expanding relationships with potential future clients and teaming partners.
- Assisting with capture plans and business development strategies.
- Review project financial metrics (P&L) and make appropriate changes as needed.
- Assists management team in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections for project staffing. Reviews managers’ recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer, or terminate project staff; approves/disapproves or endorses recommendations, and presents to senior management for approval as required by established authorization guidelines. Acts as Atkins’ representative to clients. Represents the client to regulatory agencies, public officials, subconsultants, and the general public.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice. Graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with twelve years of experience since B.S. or eleven years since M.S., with at least three of these years in the Senior Project Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
- At least 10 years of progressive airport (or similar) design experience is required.
- Knowledge of airside and landside design, planning aspects and facilities is a plus.
- Experience working in and leading multi-disciplinary teams required.
- Experience working on large airport (or similar) projects a plus.
- Ability to understand and review project financial metrics is required.
- Must have an ability to utilize computer systems as a tool to effectively manage projects.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; very strong financial management, team management, and leadership skills; ability to manage and coordinate efforts of various projects to produce budgeted profits and overall results. Possesses specific expertise to the extent that the individual is regarded as a regional or potentially national expert in a specific discipline, contract delivery method, particular type of project, planning process, design method, or modeling technique. Personal computer proficiency is required.
- Professional Engineering license is required.
- Certification as a “Project Management Professional” (PMP) or “Certified Construction Manager” (CCM) required within one year of assuming this position.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: https://careers.snclavalin.com/equal-opportunities-statement
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles