Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. We have a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Our Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. We are seeking a Bid / Proposal Manager to lead our Must Win opportunities. Working within the dedicated Win Work team you will engage with our Market and Client Directors in delivering our business critical Must Win portfolio. The role will require the:
- Professional proposal management collaborating with technical Bid Managers and Bid Directors
- Development of strong relationships across the Atkins business
- Driving bidding best practice across the bids you work on
- Enabling Bid Directors to perform to their maximum
- Overall raising of win work standards across Transportation through the support of multiple initiatives
The Win Work team face into the three key Markets within Transportation; Local Transport, Strategic Highways, and Strategic Rail. The recent portfolio of bids worked on by the team include some of the more interesting infrastructure projects and frameworks in the UK at present: Highway England’s Route to Market Technical Advisor, Major Signalling Framework MASREF, and WECA Professional Services Framework to support the Capital Delivery Programme
Looking forward we have a significant pipeline of opportunities and are a seeking to recruit an experienced Bid / Proposal Manager to help us continue to grow our business and have a real impact on converting our pipeline.
The individual we are looking for knows what to do; they are someone who will do the right thing in a pressure situation. They are able to understand the wider team they are working in and have the ability to tailor their skills and strengths to supplement and support; engendering a team approach with a single purpose. Having a fully committed personality, they will not rest until they have achieved the high standards that they place upon themselves and ultimately the team they have created.
Atkins aims to shape the future of Transportation in the UK and this role is right at the heart of achieving this – there has never been a more dynamic and exciting time to be part of the leading UK engineering consultancy in transportation.
- An in-depth knowledge of the sales cycle
- Track record of leading and winning major strategic bids
- Experience of influencing major strategic bids to deliver successful outcomes
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, presentational, and facilitation
- Comfortable at presenting complex information to board level Directors
- Experience of structured bid processes; using these to drive high quality submissions
- Co-ordination and setting the strategy for delivery of multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong commercial awareness / understanding
- Ability to undertake tasks within demanding timescales
- Analytical skills - being able to present a reasoned argument supported by evidence
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Experience liaising with external and internal stakeholders at a range of levels
- Lead the Win Work team’s input and support to identified strategic opportunities
- Promote the Win Work team internally; undertake initiatives to raise the team’s profile
- Oversee all aspects of the bid process from strategy, pre-tender preparation, PQQ, ITT and feedback
- Collaborate with Market and Practice Directors in establishing, monitoring and tracking of client relationships and use of Sales Excellence principles
- Facilitate and support the development of strategic bids; competitor analysis, win themes, answer planning, storyboarding, bid writing / editing, and bid reviews
- Oversee quality, financial and commercial aspects of strategic bids – providing robust review and challenge on submissions
- Ensure compliance with Atkins’ procedures
- Provide robust review and challenge on submissions
- Proactive involvement in the development and implementation of initiatives to improve the quality and cost effectiveness, system compliance and success of bids
- Provide a mentor / role model for best practice approaches and behaviours across the Win Work team and wider business development community
- A proven track record of successfully delivering strategic bids from early inception and client information capture, through PQQ and ITT stage, onto client interviews, feedback and lessons learnt
- Demonstrate experience in leading teams from setting a strategy though to delivery of outcomes
- A results orientated, inspiring, hard-working and flexible manager who works well as part of the team they create
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate well at all levels and in all forums from one-to-ones through to group workshops and facilitation
- Strong influencing skills to ensure that the expert knowledge they hold is maximised on each opportunity they work on
- A mobile individual available to travel across the UK working away from home when the situation arises
- Ability to maximise the use of tools such as Office365, MS Project, CRM and industry recognised sales techniques such as Miller Heiman and Huthwaites
- Degree level and equivalent professional qualifications
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.