Business Development Manager – Presales
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins wishes to appoint a Business Development Manager working within its Aerospace and Defence Industry Market team, focused on pre-sales activity for a portfolio of named Defence Industry clients.
Responsible for building the portfolio sales pipeline, the role holder will identify and shape new business opportunities, plus extensions to existing business within the portfolio. The role holder will lead on developing opportunities to the point of approval to bid/creation of formal proposal, at that point handing over to a bid team and empowering them to convert the sales opportunity to won work.
Performing successfully in this role will require high levels of energy, self-motivation and drive to succeed. Working closely with both client stakeholders and Atkins Account Managers, well developed ¬relationship-based business development skills and an expert understanding of the Defence Industry market and future trends will be essential.
Crucially, the role holder will need strong business acumen to identify and qualify real client needs and associated business opportunity. The ability to filter out the noise and focus on leads that have real potential will be key to success. Experience in shaping creative solutions based on leveraging multiple capabilities ranging engineering and business consulting will be a distinct advantage. Ideally this will include knowledge of how to embed digital tools and products within solutions to support business transformation and to also create sustainable revenue streams for Atkins.
• Contribute to defining the BD strategy and plan for the named portfolio of clients
• Execute the BD sales strategy to build the sales pipeline for the named portfolio of clients
• Build and maintain high quality relationships with senior decision makers within the client portfolio and influential individuals and groups within the Defence Industry
• Earn the reputation as a trusted CXO level adviser within the account portfolio
• Identify, qualify and develop pre-sales opportunities to support the achievement of the monthly, quarterly and annual BD sales targets for the Defence Industry market unit
• Build strong relationships with Account Managers to identify new business extensions to existing business
• Understand the broad range of Atkins capabilities and maintain strong relationships with Practices, including building their ongoing awareness of market requirements
• Execute best practice Pipeline and Opportunity Management and disciplined usage of CRM
• Provide timely/accurate forecasting of opportunities on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
• Provide Defence Industry domain expertise/support to bid teams as required
• Produce thought leadership/POV to build Atkins voice and general profile in the Defence Industry market
Key performance indicators
• Clarity of portfolio/client engagement plan
• Number of client meetings per month
• % of meetings that lead to proposal submission
• Pipeline coverage
• Win loss ratio
• Sales revenue that originated in pre-sales
• Number of confirmed opportunities that leverage both engineering and business consulting capabilities
• Thought leadership published
Skills and Experience
• c4 years’ experience in Aerospace and Defence business development/sales including B2B
• Strong understanding of the Defence Industry market, current trends and the (Atkins) competitor landscape
• Experience working with senior stakeholders and ideally an established network in Defence Industry clients
• Strong relationship building skills and confidence acting as a trusted advisor at CXO level
• Ability to listen, probe and synthesise client challenges
• Ability to match client needs with Atkins capabilities and engaging client decision makers with creative value propositions
• Demonstrable knowledge of structured business development (for example Miller Heimann, SPIN)
• Self-starter, motivated and able to manage own time
• Enthusiastic/proactive outlook – generating ideas/identifying improvement opportunities
• Well organised and able to prioritise effectively
• High standards of team-working, flexibility and delivering within a collaborative culture
The Client Manager will be based in Atkins (Bristol) offices but spend most of their time in the market within the client portfolio. Travel will be mainly throughout UK and occasionally within Europe
The role holder will report to the Director, Head of the A&D Industry Market
This is a full-time position starting as soon as possible.
Applications for this vacancy close on Friday 21st June 2019. Interviews for this role will be conducted in the Bristol office w/c 1st or 8th July and candidates will be required to complete a presentation for the interview (details to be provided) and an OPQ behavioural assessment.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.