Business Intelligence Analyst
Business Intelligence Analyst
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Atkins is a leader in infrastructure asset management. We have ambitious growth plans in this area including moving beyond consultancy-based services and towards products and managed services as part of our end-to-end asset management service philosophy. We are backing this with investment to rapidly grow our staff capability and capacity and to develop new products and services. Our services span into other sectors in the UK and globally across SNC-Lavalin, leveraging existing strategic partnerships with leading asset management system providers.
Our Digital Asset Management Practice forms part of the 500-person strong UK Consultancy Practice within the Atkins Transportation Division and is responsible for working with our strategic markets to win and subsequently deliver Digital Enterprise Asset Management projects across the Highways and Rail sectors in the UK and Europe. Our clients include Highways England, Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, Local Authorities, Department for Transport, Network Rail, HS2, TfL and TfGM. We provide a digitally enabled offering, through a range of advisory, delivery and managed services which are tailored to these sectors, building on the expertise which other parts of the SNC-Lavalin Atkins business offers.
The role of the Business Intelligence Analyst is to support to bid and live project teams to develop and implement appropriate methodologies for projects. The role holder must be able to communicate well with clients and accurately understand their requirements. The role holder must effectively work with project teams collaboratively to deliver in a fast-paced environment.
- Degree ideally in a numerate subject such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or Engineering preferred.
- Equivalent experience in a similar role will also be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Working with client teams and understanding their needs;
- Capturing clients’ requirements to create solution options supported by costed delivery programmes;
- Working in fast paced environments to deliver complex solutions;
- Supporting the development of specifications and supporting design and implementation of tools and technologies;
- Working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams and liaising with team members (data engineers, analysts, engineers) to deliver projects on time and to budget.
- Extract, combine, process, analyse and interpret data from different sources;
- Use FME (or similar) as an ETL tool;
- Develop engaging presentations for presentation to clients;
- Interpret outputs of analyses;
- Create interactive data visualisations;
- Make recommendations on findings of analyses;
- Undertake database programming (SQL server);
- Create extract, transform, load (ETL) processes;
- Work in a team, or work as an individual as appropriate;
- Articulate complex solutions and apply critical and analytical thinking into problem solving, bidding and proposals drafting.
- Communicate in writing, orally and visually using engaging techniques;
- Be flexible and take on a wide range of duties.
- The highways and rail sectors;
- Working in the asset management sector;
- Asset valuation tools and techniques;
- Lifecycle planning tools;
- Artificial intelligence;
- Creating tools and solutions accessible to clients.
- Agile project management techniques
- Code in VBA, Python or R languages;
- Conduct statistical analyses;
- Develop Business Intelligence application with Microsoft .NET technologies, SQL Server Analysis Services, Reporting Services and Power BI.
We would like applicants to demonstrate they are committed to continuous professional development and are engaged with the wider professional community in their discipline. This could be through membership or qualifications with professional bodies e.g. the British Computing Society, the OR Society, the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications or the Royal Statistical Society.
The Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for:
- Supporting bid and proposal work, including early engagement with clients;
- Supporting the engagement with clients to understand and document their current needs and requirements;
- Supporting the analysis and prioritisation of client requirements into solution options and delivery plans;
- Supporting the delivery of projects to quality, time and budget requirements;
- Collaborating with technical leads/subject matter experts;
- Using and enhancing existing toolsets to prepare, load and validate data;
- Analysing database outputs and supporting the presentation of findings to clients;
- Supporting the development of both new and existing database applications.
You will have good client engagement skills and technical skills with demonstrable experience of working with client teams to understand requirements and shape the solution options to address their key challenges. This means you will have good communications skills with the ability to understand business needs, listening to their problems to fully understand their issues and the environment in which they work.
You will have the ability to innovate with a passion for keeping abreast of developments and their applications, and to support the shaping of delivery within tightly constrained technical and business environments. You will have a strong sense of data and analytics, and the analytical capacity to design, develop and deliver solutions to support the management of transportation infrastructure.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Our working environment and offices reflect our modern approach to asset management. We currently have team members based across the UK, with a combination of people either home-based (albeit the majority at the moment due to COVID) or office-based in London, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
You’ll benefit from our promotion-from-within policy and enjoy an exceptional rewards and benefits package including forward-thinking flexible working options to ensure that working with us works for you.
In our experience, diverse teams provide the best mix of skills and experience needed to deliver what our customers want, so we’re committed to equal opportunities for everyone’s benefit.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-Atkins # LI-Transportation #LI-COE
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs