Canada Line Attendant (Part Time)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Do you have confidence working alone in a high volume customer service role? Apply now and join the team at PROTRANS BC!
PROTRANS BC is currently hiring Canada Line Attendants.
In this role, you will provide a high level of customer service to all passengers within assigned areas of the Canada Line while maintaining SNC Lavalin values, including the company’s commitment to safety, and operational excellence. Ensure the safety of the public, while demonstrating a commitment to company policies and procedures, including the Canada Line Rail Operating Rules. Assist with trouble shooting and fault mitigation on trains in order to meet required performance targets. Safely operate trains in manual mode while complying with procedures and Canada Line Rail Operating Rules. Respond and participate in emergency response according to SNC Lavalin policies and procedures. Provide fare media, way finding and tourist information to the public as required. Participate in initial training; Canada Line Rail Operating Rules certification and all other company sponsored training both internal and/or external.
The successful candidate will be part of the BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU). This is a part time position, working a rotating schedule 30 hours a week.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide excellence in customer service to all passengers including passengers with special needs. Enhance safety by continuously monitoring passengers and train operations. Remain highly visible and approachable at all times while upholding SNC Lavalin’s Code of Ethics and operational standards.
- Communicate with other members of Field Staff as well as the Control Centre via two-way radio. Continuously monitor designated station and/or area and report safety and security needs effectively.
- Monitor passenger volume and identify safety concerns, implement crowd management during emergencies, provide critical information via public address system, and perform first aid.
- Assist with trouble shooting and fault mitigation on trains and other equipment in order to meet required performance targets.
- Operate trains in manual mode while complying with procedures and Canada Line Rail Operating Rules.
- Participate in high visibility passenger safety and passenger information initiatives. Distribute maps and tourism literature as required.
- Participate in station opening and closing. Inspect stations and trains for vandalism and ensure train and station cleanliness.
- Access the Automatic Train Control (ATC) area (guideway) to retrieve items or to assist with system disruptions as required.
- Retrieve and respond to lost property and assist when parties have been separated i.e. parents/children.
- Operate company motor vehicles when required.
- Remain compliant with all safety, technical, customer service training, and Canada Line Rail Operating Rules at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years of direct, high volume customer service experience, preferably in the transportation industry, including the ability to listen, empathize, and communicate effectively with a diverse range of people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience using two-way radio is an asset.
- Attention to detail and ability to relay details in concise fashion, including those of a technical nature.
- Formal education or training in hospitality is an asset.
- Rail experience is an asset.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to learn and implement operating rules and procedures.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations and ability to resolve conflict effectively.
- Ability to correctly analyze a situation and respond appropriately.
- Work well in a team environment as well as independently.
- Must be available to work 7 days per week including weekends and holidays on a 24 hour shift basis.
- Demonstrate technical and mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment; stand for long periods of time, including working outdoors in all types of weather.
- Comfortable working in an underground area for an entire shift.
- Safety orientation is essential in our work environment.
- Able to obtain First Aid Level 1 (training provided).
- Valid BC class 5 driver’s license.
Hourly Rate of Pay:
$27.42 (hire rate); $32.27 (fully qualified)
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
Our Latest Articles