This vacancy has now expired... why not:
At SNC Lavalin’s Atkins business we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. We have a specialist multi-disciplinary Sustainable River Management team within our Water Management Consultancy group who come together to create award winning habitats. We have a reputation for technical excellence, innovation and for actively shaping the future of our industry. We have a friendly and approachable team who have an excellent reputation across a range of clients and enjoy the work that they do and have fun while doing it.
We are now seeking to expand our Sustainable River Management team and have several openings available. If you are looking to deliver interesting and significant projects, influence environmental outcomes at the project level and beyond, and work within a strong culture of well-being, innovation and inclusivity, this is the place for you.
We are looking for a well motivated individual who is looking to join a dynamic team of specialists working on a range of exciting projects. The individual should have a background in the environmental sector with experience in either (or a combination of fluvial geomorphology, hydro-ecology, wetlands and catchment science).
Our close-knit team works closely with national technical networks for specialisms and opportunities, to develop areas of strength with like-minded experts. We encourage the production of papers/articles and support our staff in presenting their work at conferences and progressing towards chartership and beyond. The dynamic and influential relationship between our wide mix of specialisms provide exceptional opportunities for you to develop your technical and commercial skills.
We value flexible working within our team and would encourage working from different offices across the region, flexible working hours and working from home as part of regular working. We also support part time workers who make up an essential component of our team. The role would preferably be based from our Oxford or Warrington offices but working with key specialists from our other national office bases (including Bristol, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Peterborough, London and Swansea).
Full time role preferably based in our Oxford or Warrington office and working with our key specialists from our national office bases (including Bristol, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Peterborough, London and Swansea).
- A degree in a relevant discipline and a relevant post-graduate qualification (with focus on Water/Catchment Management/River processes).
- Experience in undertaking environmental surveys related to river, wetland and catchment systems. Candidates will need to demonstrate that this includes field experience in different river environments across the UK.
- Proven ability to undertake and deliver a thorough technical investigation, presenting findings in a well -structured, concise argument (verbal or written), supported by evidence.
- Proven ability to write reports in concise, plain English appropriate to audiences ranging from technical specialists to the general public.
- Numerate, literate and familiar with IT and software appropriate to the tasks undertaken.
- A valid driving license and availability for travel across the UK and occasionally overseas where appropriate.
- Experience of undertaking a range of environmental assessments.
- Experience in GIS, Excel, VBA, Python, Publisher would be beneficial.
- Enthusiasm in developing new ways of processing, analysing and presenting data.
- Experience in undertaking Water Framework Directive (WFD) compliance assessments and integrating these into the Environmental Assessment process.
- To support the delivery of a wide range of environmental water management projects with a focus on geomorphological assessment, WFD compliance assessments, habitat design, management and restoration/realignments, catchment science and environmental assessment/EIA through collaborative working with other Atkins’ specialists.
- Liaise with internal and external project teams to deliver the best environmental options.
- To work effectively as part of a team and with other professionals (environmental scientists, ecologists, engineers, planners) throughout SNC Lavalin’s Atkins business to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
- To succeed within this role, it is crucial to have a flexible ‘hands-on’ proactive approach to your work. You must be able to work independently as well as part of a wider team.
- Highly motivated and proactive; focussed on achieving and delivering technical excellence.
- Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills.
Training and Development
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help its staff make the best of their abilities and talents. Personal development is reviewed through a bi-annual appraisal process and mentoring support. We actively support staff in achieving membership of relevant professional institutions and attaining chartership.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and an opportunity to develop and learn new skills in a supportive and friendly environment. For full details of our benefits package please refer to our website.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles