Chartered Landscape Architect
Chartered Landscape Architect – LVIA (Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment)
Atkins is an award winning and market leading international consultancy, it is the largest engineering and design consultancy in the UK, the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world.
Atkins is a major force in landscape design and assessment. We plan, design and implement sustainable and inspirational solutions across a full spectrum of sites in rural and urban locations across the world. Our approach and philosophy is centred on the creation of memorable and stimulating places that have a strong identity and design aesthetic and respond to existing site characteristics.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic Landscape Architect to join our Landscape and Urban Design team to be based in either our Leeds or Warrington office. The person appointed will join a small progressive team with a wide range of client interests within the public and private sectors. The position is a full-time post to help us grow the delivery of our expanding workload in LVIA and environmental design on a range of environmental and sustainability focussed high profile infrastructure and city projects.
Working in a multi-discipline team environment this role would suit a Chartered Landscape Architect, working towards a senior position, combining an interest and excellent proven track record of knowledge and experience in all aspects of work relating to LVIA including environmental design and landscape character/townscape assessment. We are interested in candidates who see LVIA as an exciting opportunity to inform and influence a schemes development and the decision-making process through good design.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a skilled competence in undertaking site surveys and writing technical reports, high quality presentation and communication skills and innovative design ideas. It is important that they enjoy working in a stimulating multi-discipline environment and are capable of providing sound landscape advice and solutions at all stages of project development.
- LVIA and environmental design input to a range of projects, particularly in our growing markets in water, transport, education, public realm streetscape and urban regeneration;
- Preparation support to fee proposals;
- Provision of landscape planning advice to external and internal clients;
- Working towards taking a technical lead role in LVIA and environmental design project management, including financial management, of projects;
- Resource allocation in liaison with the Principal Landscape Architect; and
- Mentoring of junior staff.
- A relevant Landscape degree;
- Preferably Chartered Member of the Landscape Institute;
- Relevant post qualification experience in a Landscape role;
- Experience in the support/delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects;
- Relevant experience and knowledge of Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment:
- In accordance with the latest best practice guidance including GLVIA3, Highways England DMRB and relevant IANs, Environment Agency guidance etc;
- UK legislation, planning and EIA process;
- Landscape character/townscape assessment, environmental site appraisal and site planning;
- Environmental design;
- Photomontage views and visualisations (inc. verified); and
- Environmental and Landscape Management Plans.
- Competent in AutoCAD and be able to demonstrate the use of Adobe software packages would be an advantage as well as 3-D visualisation i.e. SketchUp;
- Full UK driving licence;
- Experience in budgets and cost control;
- Consultancy experience is an advantage, as is a need to demonstrate commercial awareness.
The successful applicant must be flexible and self-motivated and would be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent communication, written and presentation skills with the ability to draft reports to a high standard;
- Ability to work under pressure, with proven success in meeting tight deadlines and prioritising sometimes conflicting deadlines;
- Confident team worker, but able to work with limited supervision;
- Commercial awareness and business development skills;
- Sound judgement both in interpersonal and business terms;
- Flexibility to work on a variety of project type and in other UK offices according to workload demands and to go the extra mile when required.
Rewards and Benefits
In return, we offer a competitive salary as well as a generous benefits and rewards package with training and career development opportunities.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.