Chief Engineer – Offshore Wind
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Chief Engineer – Offshore Wind
Our Offshore Wind team are based across Epsom, London, Bristol, Edinburgh or Glasgow in the UK. This means we can consider candidates to be based at any of these locations.
With UK offshore wind targets reaching 30GW by 2030, and similar ambitious goals in other emerging countries, Atkins is well positioned to deliver market leading engineering solutions to clients around the world. With a track record underpinned by over 45 years of offshore engineering, we are well positioned to service our global clients and develop innovative design solutions to remain at the forefront of the Offshore Wind sector.
Atkins has been involved in nearly 60 offshore windfarm developments around the globe, we have fully designed 19 offshore substation projects over 300 offshore WTG foundations (both monopiles and jackets) for both fixed and floating substructure, we are involved in the daily structural integrity management of over 1000 WTG structures and have experience on 11 floating offshore wind projects.
Our current portfolio of projects spans around the globe, from the US to South Korea whereby we are actively working on some of the most challenging foundation solutions the offshore wind sector has experienced.
We are now in the position whereby we need to grow our existing multi-disciplinary team to enhance our capability and service offering, as such we require a Chief Structural Engineer to join our Offshore Wind team to assist the delivery of our global portfolio of projects through various levels of development (conceptual, FEED and detailed design projects) for major offshore wind assets together with developing innovative solutions for repair and upgrades.
What you’ll be doing
Atkins is a fast paced, innovative, and exciting environment to develop your career, that offers excellent opportunity to work on global offshore wind projects with exciting opportunities for technical and personal development. The right individual will play a key part in maintaining our best in class reputation and be part of an integrated team with a strong new business/start up mentality shaping the future of the global offshore wind sector by leading delivery and technical excellence across all aspects of your role.
Traditionally, our capability has been UK centric however in recent years, we have secured a global presence in France, Germany, Taiwan, China, Australia and the US. The ever-changing conditions of Offshore Wind Industry means we need individuals who can adapt, change and thrive when working in dynamic environments. Our global opportunities and innovation initiatives will allow you to excel and build upon your strengths whilst leading and developing teams of talented multi discipline engineers as we continue our growth into existing and exciting emerging markets.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Chartered Chief Structural Engineer (ICE, IMECH, Istruct etc) who has the following attributes:
Leadership and Communication
- Drive safe and efficient delivery of the projects
- Has the ability to lead multidiscipline technically challenging projects, on tight schedules across different time zones utilising different design offices
- Cultural awareness and emotional intelligence needed to communicate effectively with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- Can provide training and mentoring to all levels of engineers
- Ability to maintaining existing and developing new client relationships
Experience in Offshore Wind
- Previous working experience for major offshore consultant, OEM, developer or EPCI
- Strong Delivery expertise in package management, engineering management, and detailed analysis and design in the offshore wind sector
- Understand offshore wind development drivers for design
- Understands the interfaces between turbine and foundation
- Understands the dynamics of offshore structures subject to wind and wave action
- Experience in transportation analysis
Design and Analytical skills
- Technical expert in relevant field
- Knowledge of turbine loads and interface
- Strong understanding of certification requirements
- Advanced knowledge in structural analysis tools
- Linear and non-linear offshore structural analysis (e.g. Fatigue, Ultimate and Accidental Limit States, Ship impact) – particularly, SESAM, USFOS and SACS;
- Linear and non-linear FEA experience in ABAQUS or similar package;
- Advanced knowledge of integrated coupled analysis experience and experience using Bladed.
- Comfortable to challenge conventual thinking and approaches in as continuously evolving market;
- Ability to work at industry level on Joint Industry projects (JIP’s)
- Track record in delivering multiple types of offshore wind projects including monopiles, jackets and floating
- Ability to solve complex technical and commercial problems with a high level of commercial acumen
- Ability to manage the delivery of quality deliverables to schedule and budget
- Able to travel locally and internationally to meet with internal and external stakeholders as required
Atkins Engineering and Consulting business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the Oil & Gas and Offshore Wind sectors all over the world. Merging original thinking with our experience from 60 years in the energy industry, we help transform the potential of existing infrastructure as well as new resource sand technology. We listen and lead across boundaries, bringing lessons learned from one industry or discipline to another to help realise our client’s vision. We deliver what we say we will, building relationships based on trust and integrity: there when we’re needed, fast; committed for the long term; adapting to changes and leaning into challenges.
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the energy sector and deliver outstanding projects and be part of the solution to delivering Net Zero . We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
Training and Development
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.