Civil Designer - Site/Land Development
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Alexandria, VA Civil Engineering Group as a Civil Designer.
- Provide design, production and coordination of civil engineering construction plans and drawings. Selects and recommends design procedures. Typical civil engineering elements include roadways, sanitary sewers, water distribution systems, storm drain facilities, site grading, stormwater management, earthwork, erosion & sediment control, environmental compliance, ADA compliance, and pavement markings & signage.
- Work involves analytical ability to select and recommend design procedures, interpret ordinances and specifications, analyze design requirements and provide design solutions.
- Typical duties will include conceptual and final design of civil engineering tasks.
- Reads and interprets survey data, legal description, government standards and codes, and applies to design.
- Performs calculations, utilizing knowledge of algebra, geometry and trigonometry as required.
- Develops and lays out conceptual designs for proposals to be reviewed by senior technical professional or project manager for conformance with specifications and client requirements.
- Develops and lays out final plan designs on assigned project or portions of projects.
- Performs designs utilizing CAD.
- Develops sections of projects or details for construction projects.
- May prepare plans, specifications, cost estimates and permit applications.
- Maintains good knowledge of governmental regulations, codes and ordinances and applies them to plans, as needed.
- Works independently on design projects, consistently exercising discretion and judgment, under supervision. Design work utilizes individual creativity, but is always reviewed by a Professional Engineer.
- May coordinate with and/or guide the work of junior professionals, technicians, and others who assist in specific assignments.
- Interfaces with senior technical professionals and technical managers.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture or equivalent technical discipline plus five years' experience, or Associate's degree plus a minimum of twelve years' progressive drafting and design experience, including at least four as a Designer, or HS diploma (or equivalent) plus a minimum of fifteen years progressive drafting and design experience, including at least seven as a Designer.
- Technical writing, computer and communications skills required.
- Local experience working in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- AutoCAD and Civil 3D knowledge and understanding required.
- ProjectWise, Bluebeam, SharePoint, and MS Project knowledge and understanding a plus.
- No registration required; however, incumbent should be seeking applicable registration if movement onto the Engineering or Architecture career path is contemplated.
- Must have ability to visit project sites or attend meetings outside the office, if necessary.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:http://careers.atkinsglobal.com/File.ashx?path=Root/Documents/north-america-welcome-new-employee/Equal_Opp_Stmt.pdf Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
Our Latest Articles