Atkins Infrastructure business is looking to appoint a Civil Engineer to support and lead the technical aspects of Civil Engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of heavy Civil Engineering projects.
Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects. These include Airports, Defence, Energy, Marine, Civil Infrastructure, Transportation, Water, Education, Commercial/ Residential and Rail in the UK and Abroad. We pride ourselves in offering a truly multi-disciplinary capability and bring exciting opportunities to influence major projects from beginning to end. Our vision is to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, with a broad range of clients influencing policy and future technology.
This post will be based out of Bristol for the Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology department, where we have a growing team of Civil Engineers with involvement in major nuclear, defence and overseas initiatives. Our portfolio of work continues to grow and we have a number of major opportunities in the pipeline which offer exciting roles and responsibilities. The candidate may be required to work from a local client office, site, or oversea deployment.
We will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply and gain knowledge, experience and problem solving skills as well as growing responsibility. As a Civil Engineer you would take ownership of certain aspects of a project and be responsible for managing certain project technical staff, reporting upwards to a number of Senior Engineers. This role offers excellent opportunities for career development and training for the right candidate. If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead then we would like to hear from you.
•Undertake a key role within the design team on major projects with a high Civil Engineering and heavy Structural Engineering content
•Design of industrial buildings and structures, tunnels, ports, dams, hydraulic systems, rail and road infrastructure
•Design of foundations, retaining structures and earthworks
•Design of structures in a nuclear environment
•Design of seismically classified structures
•Determine and specify construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensures that construction and maintenance comply with design specifications
•Management of tasks and assignments to programme, budget and quality
•People and technical leadership of certain project aspects, delegating to and supervising our more junior engineers and technicians
•Assist in implementing our project BIM strategy including use of integrated design tools and data management systems
•Regular liaison with clients to develop good working relationships; understand client needs and help propose best value technical solutions to meet project challenges
•Lead production and checking of aspects of design in accordance with relevant design standards and codes including client specific requirements: Governance of design solutions to corporate standards and client requirements
•Co-ordination of multiple discipline inputs (including health and safety, sustainability, environment, planning) to achieve integrated designs/solutions
•Helping ensure successful integrated delivery of projects by working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary environment including working closely with our offshore resource
•Helping to prepare tenders, working with internal market leads to help promote and sell Atkins services with minimal supervision
•Helping to prepare schedules of work, work breakdown structures, risk schedules with minimal supervision
•Organises and plan projects, arrange work schedules, carry out inspection work
•Contribute to Health and safety management of design including application of CDM 2015
•Technical execution of design, reports and technical queries with minimal supervision
•Apply coding and scripting to automate design process increasing quality assurance
- Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent qualification
- Chartered or near-chartered Civil / Structural Engineer
- Demonstrable experience within a Civil Engineering Design environment with particular emphasis on heavy Civil Engineering aspects.
- Experience in design delivery including multidisciplinary design
- Up to date knowledge of current design codes and design software relating to Civil Engineering
- Ability to collaborate successfully within a project and team environment, act in best interest of team
- Ability to manage, motivate and delegate within a project delivery environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills, ability to listen and take instruction
- Confidence to work with Clients and build good relationships
- Appreciation of statutory consents, applications for connections/ discharge consents, planning approvals and assessments
- Proactively seek senior advice and counsel and willingness to take on board feedback
- Hands on BIM/Digital competency
- Proactive commitment to health and safety
- Valid driving licence
- Flexibility to work from client office, site, or possible overseas deployment for a duration up to and possibly exceeding 6 months
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.