Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Melbourne, FL Civil Engineering Group as a Civil Engineer.
Under supervision, applies technical professional proficiency to the investigation of engineering problems, the coordination of project activities, and the preparation of preliminary plans and documents. On design assignments, progresses toward learning how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On engineering and planning assignments, continues to develop a knowledge of the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. On construction assignments, continues to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering plans and specifications into constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Ability to take on a new or existing project and complete the design and permitting with the support of the design team.
- Communicate and coordinate with the project manager and other members of the design team to provide complete and coordinated construction drawings and specifications.
- Provide cost estimates and meet schedules.
- Attend meetings with jurisdictional authorities to confirm permitting requirements.
- Assist the design team working on civil engineering design projects including stormwater management and storm sewer systems, land development, site layout, potable water and sanitary sewer system improvements, and roadway improvements.
- Provide direction to and review the work of junior engineers assisting with design and production.
- Assisting with design and production work, design layout, shop drawing review, field work, code research, project delivery, site and environmental permitting, report writing.
- Opportunities may exist for assisting the coastal engineering and airport planning groups depending on project staffing requirements.
- Design duties include site plan design and permitting, storm sewer and storm water management system design, water and sewer system improvement design including water main extensions, gravity sewers and lift stations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. This level my be achieved by Engineers with 2 years' experience since B.S. or 1 year since M.S.
- The typical incumbent has 3 to 5 years' experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Must be able to use AutoCAD, ICPR, PONDS, WaterCad, StormCad; able to provide direction and review model results.
- Permitting experience through jurisdictional agencies including FDEP, FDOT, FL water management districts, county and local agencies is required.
- Must be able to provide engineering support (RFI's, shop drawing review, construction progress reports) for the construction phase.
- Good technical writing, computer and communications skills.
- Florida EIT required.
- ASCE, FES or other technical engineering society preferred.
- Technical writing, computer and communications skills required.
- CAD skills preferred.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles