Atkins Infrastructure business is looking to appoint a Civil Engineer into our Newcastle team to take responsibility for the technical aspects of civil engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of projects.
The post will be based out of our Newcastle office where we have a growing civils team and numerous exciting infrastructure projects across the North East and the opportunity to collaborate with our other offices across the UK in the delivery of schemes of various sizes and complexity.
We will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity for you to apply your knowledge, experience and problem solving skills as well as growing your responsibility. As Engineer you would be client-facing and take ownership of certain aspects of a project. You will be responsible for managing project technical staff and will report upwards to the Design Lead and Project Manager. You may also be required to spend some time in client’s offices.
This role offers excellent opportunities for career development for the right candidate, at or nearing chartered status.
• Undertake a key role within the design team on development infrastructure projects
• Regular liaison with clients to develop good working relationships; understand client needs and help propose best value technical solutions to meet project challenges
• Lead production and checking of aspects of design in accordance with relevant design standards and codes including client specific requirements
• Lead the preparation of high quality written reports
• Undertake consultation with external stakeholders to gain approval for the civil engineering elements of projects
• Co-ordination of multiple discipline inputs (including health and safety, sustainability, environment, planning) to achieve integrated designs/solutions
• People and technical leadership of certain project aspects, delegating to and supervising our more junior engineers and technicians
• Assist in implementing our project BIM strategy including use of integrated design tools and data management systems
• Assist the Project Manager in managing the scope, budget and programme for the civil engineering elements of projects
• Helping to prepare proposals, working with internal market leads to help promote and sell Atkins services
• Contribute to Health and safety management of design including application of CDM 2015
• Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent qualification
• Recently Chartered, Incorporated (MICE) or near-chartered status
• Demonstrable experience within a Civil Engineering Design environment ideally with regeneration, development, transportation, water, utility and drainage projects
• Experience in design delivery including multidisciplinary design
• Up to date knowledge of current design codes for development infrastructure.
• Proficient in the use of design software such as Civils 3D, AutoCAD and MicroDrainage and familiarity with integrating with other CAD tools including Revit and Navisworks
• Appreciation of statutory consents, applications for connections/ discharge consents, planning approvals and assessments; familiarity with utility, planning, highway and other key legislation requirements
• Good written and verbal communication skills, ability to listen and take instruction
• Ability to manage, motivate and delegate to junior staff within a project delivery environment
• Hands on BIM/Digital competency
• Experience of contributing to management of commercial aspects of design commissions
• Proactive commitment to health and safety
• Valid driving licence
About the Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice:
Our Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology Practice is inspired by Atkins vision to be the world's best infrastructure consultancy. Our people are focused on our routes to market and driven to deliver for our clients, improve efficiencies, develop and exploit cutting edge technology, deliver safe and sustainable solutions, and develop our leaders of tomorrow.
Working collaboratively across the group we pride ourselves on the safe delivery of technically excellent engineering solutions in the built environment, with the end users in mind, to both external and internal clients. Our knowledge of contractor's construction techniques allows our teams to produce efficient designs that can be built. Our expertise covers the full array of activities through the life cycle associated with smart infrastructure, ranging from feasibility, planning, investigation, design and supervision of new assets through to assessment, measurement, repair and rehabilitation of existing assets.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.