Climate Adaptation Consultant
Climate Adaptation Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies and the largest engineering consultancy in Europe. The Water Management Consultancy operates at the interface between people and the water environment, we work with our clients to provide innovative research and advisory services. Our data analytics, modelling and decision-making work delivers integrated solutions that provide long-term sustainability and resilience in the face of uncertainty.
Due to our expanding portfolio of projects and infrastructure clients, which require physical climate risk assessment and related advisory services, we require and driven Consultant to contribute to our work on climate finance, climate risks and the development of weather and climate services. The successful candidate will have a strong background in these areas with skills to project manage and deliver risk assessments, adaptation strategies and similar work.
Much of our climate change work is related to the core functions of the Water and Environment business e.g. assessing the impact of climate change on future water supplies, and advising on adaptation in the natural environment. We also work in the transport and energy sectors and on cross-cutting studies. In general, the work is a mixture of engineering, strategic planning, applied science and evidence-based policy advice.
Additionally, the post holder may also work on a wider array of projects, which may include engineering feasibility studies, ESIAs, water resources planning, flood risk assessment, urban redevelopment or policy work, depending on the post holder’s background and business requirements.
Our clients include utility companies, the Environment Agency, UK water companies, High Speed Two Ltd., European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the World Bank.
- Must have a degree in a relevant technical discipline (at least a 2:1 in geography, environmental science, climate science, environmental economics or engineering)
- Desirable that the candidate has a relevant MSc or PhD in a relevant discipline.
- For Consultant level positions, some experience in the climate change industry (2-4 years) is required with strong focus on analysing and applying climate data to assess climate change risks and identify the need for adaptation.
- For Senior Consultant level we require more than 5 years’ experience.
- Some coding skills in Python or R with experience in its application for processing climate change data. High level proficiency in Excel and other Office tools (Word, Visio, Sharepoint)
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal – and able to adapt communication style to different types of audience, including non-specialists.
- A strong desire to continue to learn and innovate, working with others to develop new approaches to a wide range of problems.
- Be available to travel across the UK and occasionally overseas, subject to prevailing CV-19 guidance.
- Desire to work towards chartership with ICE, CIWEM, IMechE, IEMA or equivalent accreditation is desirable.
- Core contributor developing offers for our clients to win new projects.
- To support the delivery of new digital products and projects within the Climate Futures and Water Management Consultancy team and work collaboratively with other Atkins’ businesses.
- Depending on experience, support or lead on delivery of key service areas such as climate finance, risk assessment, climate services or disaster risk management.
- To work effectively as part of a team and with other professionals (environmental scientists, engineers, planners) throughout Atkins to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
- Highly motivated and proactive; focussed on achieving and delivering technical excellence.
- Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- High-level technical performance in both data analytics and report writing
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges and learn new skills.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clients/project stakeholders.
- Well organised - able to plan ahead and deal with multiple projects running at the same time.
- Attention to detail and desire to work consistently to high standards.
- Good team worker, comfortable working in large teams with range of specialists with different technical backgrounds.
What we offer
we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with the IEMA, CIWEM or others. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs