Coastal Practice Leader
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated seller-doer to lead our diverse Coastal Engineering Practice as a Coastal Practice Leader. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and implementing Atkins coastal strategy and program across the US, with a primary focus on the southeast, from Texas to Florida. Atkins Coastal Engineering Practice provides high value engineering, modeling, and environmental restoration services throughout the US for local public agencies, regional management districts, state environmental and transportation agencies, FEMA, ports, shipping and cruise lines. The position will be located in one of Atkins hub offices in either Florida or Texas.
Under general direction of the Water Practice Director, this individual will provide leadership, direction and guidance to coastal engineering managers and staff as well as have responsibility for achieving business growth, quality, client satisfaction, and project profitability goals and objectives.
Candidates should have proven successful experience overseeing large-scale, multi-phase, coastal engineering projects and experience in providing technical expertise and staff oversight for field studies, hydraulic/hydrodynamic modeling, engineering analysis, report preparation, permitting, construction document preparation and construction oversight. Experience with environmental restoration, dredging and disposal and diversion projects desirable, as well as familiarity with port and harbor engineering a plus.
- Staff Administration: With the Practice Director, Business Unit Managers and Project Managers, identifies current and future staffing availability based on technical and budgetary requirements of future workload and manpower projections. Recommends salary levels for new hires and initiates salary and position adjustment actions for staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with direct reports. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and work unit objectives/company needs. Ensures staff compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Project Production and Management: Ensure appropriate staff allocation to projects in consideration of project schedules, budgets, key milestone dates and work products. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the operating unit. Reviews project QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits on current or recently completed projects. Assists staff in resolving problems concerning work with the various business units.
- Technical Excellence: Maintains visibility and professional currency by actively participating in professional and civic organizations and encourages staff to do the same. Works with Practice and Technical Directors to design and implement development tracks for technical staff, with a focus on building technical excellence at all levels of the organization.
- Marketing and Client Maintenance: Will lead or participate in pursuing new project opportunities for firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective clients.
- Contracts and Financial: May assist sales leads and project managers to staff new pursuits and contract negotiations. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in in civil or environmental engineering or ideally a M.S. degree, with a coastal emphasis. Minimum of 15 years technical professional and/or technical management experience since B.S., or 13 years since M.S., executing coastal engineering/restoration project planning, design, permitting, construction and monitoring, with at least three of these years in positions with project management or supervisory responsibilities. Experience with inlet maintenance, sand bypassing and port and harbor engineering a plus.
- Excellent technical, writing and interpersonal skills. Proven ability to manage teams, provide leadership, and manage project production. Highly skilled at promoting the firm and negotiating advantageous contracts. Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
- Candidate must be a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) and willing to obtain reciprocity, within six (6) months, in states where Atkins provides coastal engineering services, as needed.
- General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles