Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. Atkins is one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies engaged in numerous high profile projects for Clients in both the Public and Private Sector.
Due to continued growth at Atkins we are now looking for a Commercial Manager to be part of our Transportation team, delivering on projects within the Transportation sector.
We are interested in talking to candidates with the right construction industry and quantity surveying experience at this level, preferably from a contracting background, to be able to leverage and improve their skills and aptitude to achieve best in class commercial performance. We are looing for applicants from Rail and Highways background.
• Operate strategies to maximise project revenues and cash flow in Atkins favour
• Ensure timely submission of all contractual notices and supporting data including robust payment applications
• Lead the Change Control Process and seek early resolution of contract changes
• Prepare, submit and agree interim valuations
• Prepare, submit and agree Final account submissions
• Assist Commercial Manager and Project Manager with advice and contractual support for project issues
• Liaise with project support functions such as finance, supply chain, risk and so on to ensure compliance with the company’s procedures and instructions, including all periodic reporting functions and GRN etc.
• Maintain adequate records in respect of project issues and commercial processes
• Support Project Cost Control Management ensuring variances between planned budget expenditure and incurred costs are identified and appropriate action taken to minimise costs and liabilities
• Internal and external commercial periodic reporting
• Manage subcontract procurement and accounts
• Ensure insurance issues are managed in accordance with procedures
• Work within the strict deadlines required under the Bid or Contract(s) and as required by the Company
• Degree qualification
• Demonstrate a proven track record in quantity surveying / commercial management with significant experience in a senior role.
• Competent in basic computer skills
• Strong commercial and financial acumen
• Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines
• Methodical style of working
• Sound knowledge of contracts
• Awareness of industry issues
• Good health and safety awareness
• Experience in a Contracting QS role
• Experience of Design and Build Contracts
• Experience of NEC3 range of contracts
• IOSH managing Safely
• Ensure compliance with the Company systems, processes and procedures
• Assist in endeavouring to ensure that all contemporary records are kept by the project team members for use in supporting claims, extensions of time, and the evaluation of variations
• Collate and file all contemporary records
• Assist in the bid and tender process and feed in as required
• Assist in providing commercial and financial feed-back to the Estimators
• Support the commercial team in ensuring cost capture processes are complied with.
• Maintain professional working relationships at all times
• Assist in providing all cost/commercial information required under the Contract(s) (Reporting, Cashflows and Forecasts, etc.) as directed
• Assist in collating all information required to generate applications for payment
• Assist in submitting with each application for payment final anticipated Client outturn costs as directed
• Assist in submitting in a timely manner Change Requests, with price and programme effects, for subsequent agreement as directed
• Assist in the commercial management of the Subcontract Accounts
•Appreciation of the Company Bid Governance process
• Promote a team-working environment
• Promote the Company safety culture
• Participate in regular monthly safety meetings
• Strong desire to further Client relationships whilst ensuring that contractual entitlements are not compromised
• Team player
• Determination to develop and coach junior members of the commercial team
• Motivation and desire to succeed
• Ability to work under pressure
• Good communication skills
• Good negotiation skills
• Act as Mentor to Assistant and Trainee Level Roles.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles