Communication Systems Engineer
Communication Systems Engineer
Why join us?
This position is based out of our office in Vancouver or Burnaby, BC and reports to Manager, System Design. It is responsible for the generation and delivery of Communication Systems designs related to transit projects. Our Rail & Transit Engineering team delivers solutions that include overall systems design, alignment and track, traction power and power distribution, train control and signalling and communications engineering.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Assisting with generation and delivery of Communication Systems designs for the following systems:
- fibre-optic networks
- fire alarm systems
- radio systems
- passenger information systems
- security systems
- intrusion detection
- building management/automation
- Generating of equipment layout drawings and designs for stations, guideway, tunnels and ancillary buildings including equipment rooms
- Sizing of systems hardware, including technology and vendor selection
- Designing systems to meet operational capacity, project functionality and performance requirements
- Developing of functional descriptions, control narratives, testing procedures
- Working with the other team members on specification and delivery of Communications systems into the overall transit, urban rail and heavy freight project solutions
- Interfacing with design groups (communications, fixed facilities, etc.), external team members (architects, code consultants, AHJs, major suppliers, etc.)and stakeholders
- Supporting component, sub-system and system procurement (technical specifications, vendor selections, post-award support, etc.).
- Supporting Systems Design in the delivery of Design/Construction/Configuration documentation.
- Supporting of construction, installation, test & commissioning activities in the field.
- Assisting with customer training and generation of O&M Manuals.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor of Electronics or Electrical degree required from a recognized university, ideally PEng or EIT designation
- Minimum 4+ years of communication systems experience with systems engineering and design in multi-disciplinary environment
- Experience in selection, design, deployment and setting to work of Communications system in a transit environment including is preferred
- Experience in the generation of technical requirements, specifications, design documents, drawings and submissions is an asset
- Experience in and an advocate of full lifecycle software development, requirements management and Quality Assurance methodologies, tools and processes, e.g. ISO 9000/9001, ISO/IEC 12207, ISO/IEC 15288
- Familiarity with software development in safety-critical and safety-related applications, including Safety Integrity Levels, IEC 61508 and EN 50128 is an asset
- Experience in preparation and review of cyber security threat and vulnerability analyses and design criteria related to Communications systems, and implementing and testing security solutions in accordance with defined policies
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited direct supervision
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects at one time
- Able to interact and take technical lead within discussions with partners, clients and suppliers
- Able to interact with fellow team members, partners and suppliers with excellent interpersonal skills and foster strong communication and collaboration
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances, priorities and situations
- Able to work in design/project office and field environments
- Must be willing to travel to project sites up to 10% of the time
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com