Communications Controller - Fixed Term
Communications Controller - Fixed Term
Reporting to the Duty Manager, the position of the Communications Controller is primarily focused on providing centralized information and assistance to Canada Line passengers and staff from the Control Room. This safety critical role is required to be very proactive by acting independently to situations as they arise, while remaining part of a team of staff who are responsible for service delivery.
When on duty the Communications Controllers are assigned to either the Communications Workstation or the Faregate Workstation. When working at the Faregate Workstation the Communications Controller’s primary responsibility is the monitoring and control of the Faregate system and responding to passenger calls from the stations in relation to Faregates and the Compass Card. This role is full time for a fixed term of 1 year.
The successful candidate will be part of the BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU).
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide high quality passenger information via Passenger Information Displays and public address announcements.
- Monitor and operate the CCTV system, SCADA E&M systems at stations (Escalators, elevators, station grilles), and Faregate system.
- Respond to emergency calls and to passenger information and assistance requests from stations and trains.
- Maintain the technical knowledge necessary to execute all control functions and a current and thorough knowledge all Canada Line Rules and procedures with adherence.
- Answer general telephone calls to the Control Room and direct them to the appropriate workstation and transfer Faregate and Compass related card calls from passengers to the appropriate call center when required.
- Operate Central Emergency Stop Buttons when a trespasser is seen entering the Guideway, and assist Duty Manager with response to Guideway and Walkway intrusion alarms by reviewing CCTV and identifying cause of the intrusion.
- Advise all staff of emergencies, failures and activities affecting the communications workstation and report failed station and Communications workstation equipment.
- Contact and liaison with Emergency Response Agencies including police, fire and ambulance.
- Dispatch staff to assist passengers and assist other work stations in emergency situations as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to pass a company aptitude test and medical; colour perception, visual acuteness, hearing and impairment screening.
- Excellent customer service, numeric and English language skills, both verbal and written.
- Capable of learning and implementing operating rules and procedures for normal, abnormal and emergency conditions.
- Ability to correctly analyze a situation and respond appropriately.
- Ability to articulate clear public address announcements and radio calls.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to understand technical information and relay it in a manner that is clearly understood.
- Experience in a role that has a number of defined priorities and objectives, including the ability to manage conflicting priorities, make sound decisions, and explain their decision making process in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a stressful environment and attention to detail.
- Must be available to work 7 days per week, including weekends and holidays on a 24 hour shift basis.
- A combination of education or experience may be considered
Hourly Rate of Pay:
We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or emails please.
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs