Consultant Project Manager
Consultant Project Manager
At Atkins we advise our clients how to adapt to the fast-rising tide of digital disruption and realise the desired benefits from their transformational change programmes. We provide expert advice at senior levels on complex business problems, whilst also taking a hands-on role, to ensure effective solutions are conceived, delivered, and the real-world benefits of the investment are realised.
Our consulting services are provided across the entire project lifecycle to our clients across sectors as diverse as aviation, defence, security, local and central government. We also work alongside our colleagues in the other parts of the Atkins business world-wide.
Atkins is an open organisation; everyone’s contribution is valued irrespective of grade and our staff are actively encouraged to interact and engage with colleagues at all levels within the business.
Within Atkins Portfolio, Programme and Project Management Delivery (P3MD) Practice, we are seeking to grow significantly, reflecting our strong brand and demand for our effective delivery capability from our clients. We provide consultancy services and even entire programme management teams to assist our clients deliver controlled change to transform their businesses and to solve some of the most interesting challenges facing organisations today by promoting an innovative and collaborative culture. We seek to develop new ideas and solutions to our client’s current challenges, as well as helping them navigate their businesses through the opportunities that the future will offer.
Atkins set high standards of integrity and ethics for our people. When joining Atkins, you benefit from a working environment that prioritises integrity and we also expect those who joins us to display these characteristics.
We have roles suitable for candidates who have a background in a Programme and Project Management environment and are seeking a nurturing environment to support their development, or for individuals who have demonstrable transferable skills – a strong organisational focus, the ability to work in an agile and evolving environment, experience of risk management, change controls, financial management etc.
The role would be ideal for those at the early stage of their career who are technically and/or academically qualified and are keen to pursue a career in P3M Consulting or for those who are looking to transfer their previous experience into a consultancy environment. The work would be within the ‘Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology’ (ADS&T) Sector.
The majority of the work will be for our Government clients in the security and defence sectors, but there may be opportunities for you to expand into other sectors over time. Projects will be UK-wide and therefore travel may be expected for some assignments.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working alongside clients, affecting change and delivering to a high standard in their environments. It is essential you possess well developed written and verbal communication skills and can demonstrate strong stakeholder skills or have consultancy experience. At times you may have competing priorities therefore good time management and prioritisation skills are essential.
As one of our consultants, you will represent Atkins to our clients. As such, it is imperative that you embrace our values and our ways of working. To be successful within the Company, you will need to be comfortable with and willing to commit to the following:
- Teamwork – Enthusiasm to work cooperatively and supportively with others.
- Communication – Based on high emotional intelligence, able to listen and question effectively, with concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence at higher and lower levels.
- Flexibility – Willing to deliver a range of tasking from providing advice on improving client’s delivery to ‘rolling up your sleeves’ to assist clients in delivering key projects and work packages.
- Customer Focus – Keen to deliver a high level of customer satisfaction to our external and internal customers
- Achievement – Looks to exceed client aspirations and works to goals and manages obstacles. Energy, pride and determination in meeting targets and overcoming challenges.
- Initiative – Ability to analyse data and situations; decompose work into key tasks and activities; find the elusive solution.
- Development – Not willing to stand still. Wants to continually develop new skills and undertake personal training and CPD.
- Collegiate – Manage client demands whilst contributing to the development of the P3M Delivery Practice and the wider community. Always available to support colleagues.
- Ethics and integrity – Promote Atkins high professional standards at all times.
- Safety: Embrace and contribute to Atkins focus on maintaining high standards of safety in the working environment.
- Advocacy – Be an ambassador for our wider business.
A working knowledge and demonstrable experience in some or all the following areas:
- Experience of working in a project delivery environment or PMO with a good understanding of structured and agile frameworks & methodologies (e.g. APMP, PRINCE2, SAFe, MSP) would be beneficial
- Ability to identify and analyse problems to recommend actions to clients, communicating both to key stakeholders and presenting information through reports, dashboards and slides as appropriate
- Ability to build relationships with immediate contacts
- Agile awareness and knowledge (e.g. Planning Increments, SCRUM, Kanban)
- Project planning, Scheduling, monitoring and reporting, with P6, Microsoft Project or JIRA experience desirable
- Risk and Issue management
- Requirements management
- Working knowledge of commercial and financial processes and ability to report financial data would be advantageous
- Practice and Business Development
- Sharing skills and knowledge with colleagues
- Contribute to the sales of P3MD Consulting work – including bid development
- Awareness of commercial drivers and implications, commercially astute, able to effectively manage assignments on time, on budget
- UK Mobile, whilst operating from a base Office in either Cheltenham or Bristol.
- Prepared if required to undergo security clearance for working at clients in the UK Public sector
Qualifications we expect:
- You have at least a degree or equivalent qualification and may hold, or be working towards professional qualifications
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as Word and PowerPoint or equivalent, advanced Excel skills would be highly desirable
Why work for Atkins?
With Atkins you will be in a trusted, supported position, primarily client based, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience and learn from others within the team and you will have opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled consultant.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio of training and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs